Hubby not well

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I have noticed all-round deterioration in hubby for a while but more pronounced in the past two weeks or so. Yesterday his mobility was not good - very weak and wobbly and this became worse as the day went on. He has continued to eat well but yesterday he could not see the food on his plate so I had to feed him. His eye/brain co-ordination has been an ongoing problem, eg regarding eating, I started using plain plates as he was confusing pattern with food.

Yesterday I put him to bed early evening but he needed to go to toilet about 9 pm. Helping him to get there was difficult as he was on the point of collapse. When I was getting him cleaned up he couldn't stand, let alone walk back to bedroom. (Bathroom and bedroom are adjacent). Up to now he has managed with some help from me to walk with zimmer but not last night. I have no family or other help so sent for ambulance and got him back to bed as I could not feel confident of managing this safely.

Sent for doctor this morning and he has prescribed antibiotics as there is a "trace of infection". If hubby is not showing improvement by Friday I must phone doctor again.

Hubby has stayed in bed all day today, not interested in food but I have persuaded him to drink water. He has slept all day, not even stirring when I have emptied his catheter - he looks so calm and peaceful.

I'm not sure what to make of this as it is not exactly the same as previous UTIs. Another thing I noticed yesterday was his eyes - when he did open them they had a strange faraway, unfocused appearance.

Sorry for such a long post

Lilac

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Have you told anyone medical about that last part, Lilac? Far be it from me to scare you, but it sounds as if he needs more help than has been forthcoming. I'd call an ambulance and get him checked out properly in hospital, just to be on the safe side.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Don't apologise lilac blossom, many of us know how worrying physical changes can be.
Be careful of yourself as well if his mobility problems increase. I remember you said you had 'helpful'carers , make use of them.
Take care of both of you

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I agree with Chuggalugg I would be on the safe side and get him properly checked. Infections can cause havoc and it may well be he will respond but for your own peace of mind it would be worth a good check over.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I echo what everyone else as said. It may not be anything to be too concerned about, but, to be on the safe side, best to get your hubby checked out. xxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Doctor did comment on hubby's eyes but didn't seem alarmed - said it would clear when the UTI was under control. His eyes look normal today.

Big surprise this morning - hubby is better today than he has been for the past two weeks. It's too soon for the antibiotics to have kicked in as he had the first one last night. He is getting around using zimmer and has certainly got appetite back.

Thanks for replies folks :)
Lilac

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Well here's wishing you well, Lilac. Wish the doc would take a bit more interest for both your sakes, but hope the improvement continues. Much love, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Thanks again Chuggs. You're right about the doctor of course.

We had a really wonderful GP for many years who saw us through difficult times, when OH was diagnosed leukaemia in 1999 he was a real blessing, spot on with treatment and advice. Then when I was diagnosed breast cancer in 2006, he was a tower of strength and encouragement through my ops, chemo, etc. It was a sad day for us when he retired. When I say he retired, I should say it seemed that the others in the practice did not share the same values and priorities as our GP and it became difficult for him to "swim against the tide". In the end I think his health suffered and it was best for him to retire. I have seen him a few times around the town and he always asks how we are, remembers names, etc.

Anyway - I expect that the above rigmarole applies to many others - fings ain't wot they used to be!

Hubby was very tired and asked to get off to bed but he has had a good enough day compared to yesterday. Hope he has a settles night.

Lilac

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thanks again Chuggs. You're right about the doctor of course.

We had a really wonderful GP for many years who saw us through difficult times, when OH was diagnosed leukaemia in 1999 he was a real blessing, spot on with treatment and advice. Then when I was diagnosed breast cancer in 2006, he was a tower of strength and encouragement through my ops, chemo, etc. It was a sad day for us when he retired. When I say he retired, I should say it seemed that the others in the practice did not share the same values and priorities as our GP and it became difficult for him to "swim against the tide". In the end I think his health suffered and it was best for him to retire. I have seen him a few times around the town and he always asks how we are, remembers names, etc.

Anyway - I expect that the above rigmarole applies to many others - fings ain't wot they used to be!

Hubby was very tired and asked to get off to bed but he has had a good enough day compared to yesterday. Hope he has a settles night.

Lilac

Oh, bless your heart, darlin'. I'm more n likely to be up tonight if the weather plays up as I'll want to film it all, this time. You need a chat for whatever reason, you ping me one, okay?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Lilac, glad your hubby seems to be feeling better, hope the improvement is sustained. xxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby not great this morning. The care worker who came in to help said she didn't like the look of him. We both did our best to get him washed/dressed but ended up putting pj's on, back to bed and now he's fast asleep.

I have requested doctor's housecall again today.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
All the best, Lilac. Will you tell the doctor the carer's comments? It might help if your GP knows someone else from 'outside' is in on the situation. We can but hope.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Doctor came in this morning, did all the usual tests again - Hopefully the antibiotics will have the desired effect. Hubby has stayed in bed all day, mostly sleeping. I bought one of those baby/toddler cups with a spout a while ago as I had thought the time might come when that would be needed and it has been real handy for making sure he drinks enough.

Doctor offered (I didn't need to ask) to come in again tomorrow which I found reassuring. It also means that he will let me know result of urine test which was done on Tuesday. As we are in a small town with small hospital, samples have to be sent by courier to large hospital for full analysis.

Waiting and watching alone is hard - how I wish I had family or other support locally. However it's in God's hands and He knows best I believe.

I did mention what the care worker said and Dr said, oh yes, I thought the same.

Thanks for support folks - hope we all have a restful night.

Lilac x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Good response from doctor. May God bless people like that. Hope for some better news soon, Lilac, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Thinking of you tonight as I am sure others will be on TP, hope that helps you feel less alone.It is so hard sitting waiting, not knowing quite what will happen next. Take care of yourself. Sue

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope all OK with you and your hubby tonight and the ABs do their work so he feels better tomorrow. xxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hi folks
Hubby slept solidly pretty much all of yesterday, and most of the night, but this morning was still "off his legs" (I thought that was a slang expression but it's what the doctor said). When Dr came today he said hubby should be in hospital - they'll keep an eye on him over the weekend and if he is no better they'll change the antibiotics, do blood tests, get physio involved. Nurse told me it's quite likely that he will be put on continuous low level antibiotics but nothing new will happen over the weekend so we'll just wait and see.

When the care worker was here this morning the two of us got hubby washed but put him in fresh pjs and back to bed as he was unable to stand up. Since that involved two of us there's no chance at all of managing safely on my own so I am relieved that he is in hospital till everything is sorted out and hopefully he will be home again. He is in our small local hospital, just a ten minute walk for me at visiting time.

Posting on TP and receiving lovely messages make a real difference. It's wonderful to feel that I am not alone. Thank you - God bless xx

Lilac

Last edited:

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I hope they get him sorted but in the meantime have yourself a break and a rest. You know you need to take every opportunity to refresh.