Hubby in hospital

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby has been deteriorating for a number of weeks - physically and also dementia-wise. He is in frail physical health, needs help with most things but this past week much worse. On Friday he couldn't stand even when supported by care worker and me, one on either side. Even sitting he kept veering to the side, seemed too weak to hold himself up even sitting. So I sent for GP to call. We don't actually get GP doing housecalls here. Paramedic comes and "assesses", reports back to GP and they decided OH needed to be in hospital. OH has UTI but not sure what else is involved. He started antibiotics yesterday and will have other checks after weekend. He has had UTI before so I am aware of the havoc caused by that but his all-round deterioration is very evident so I don't know what to expect this time.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
What a worry for you.
I hope Hubby makes a swift recovery and you see a big improvement soon.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Oh, Lilacblossom, you must be so anxious, we all live on a bit of a knife edge don't we, kind of waiting for a crisis but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens. I hope you get some reassuring news soon. Sending you loveand a big hug. Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rashley

Dec 21, 2014
Devon
So sorry to hear your sad news, hope your OH improves after a spell in hospital. My husband was rushed in to hospital recently but after increased meds and antibiotics fed to him in a drip has improved physically. Unfortunately his dementia has got a lot worse. Best wishesx

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Try not to anticipate, LilacBlossom. I know we all like to prepare ourselves for the worst scenario but best to just hope for the best that can be for your husband. UTI's are so draining for both him and you - I so well remember the many downturns I witnessed last year during my husband's last month's in the NH. I can only send you loving thoughts. WIFE

LittleFan

Apr 26, 2015
Hello lilac blossom, so sorry to hear about your husband.
This is the first time I'm posting on this app, in fact not half an hour ago my grand daughter signed me up to it.
I am in exactly the same situation as you! My husband (a dementia sufferer coming into his 5th year) collapsed Friday on the bathroom floor. I have numerous health issues ( IHD, RA and OP - to name a few) and was completely unable to get him up (he's six foot and was a complete dead weight- I am only 5ft 3 and was completely unable to get him up by myself)
All of his symptoms were the exact same as your husbands. We got the paramedics over and after an evaluation they took him away to hospital. He has fallen over numerous times whilst he has been there due to low blood pressure so now he is confined to his bed. They have tested his blood and done X-rays of his chest to no avail - they are now testing for UTI.
He has been falling over more frequently due to low blood pressure.
I have been informed by the doctor to prepare myself as he may have to move into a home, as they no longer believe I can cope with looking after him full time by myself due to the health issues I mentioned previously.
This is the first time I have been without him in over 45 years and am finding it a great struggle to cope.
I Hope that the situation with you husband Improves! I would love for you to keep me up to date with what's happening as it appears that we are going through very similar things.
I will do the same:)

Thanks for your post! It has made me feel like I am not alone.
-Littlefan

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Hello and welcome to Talking Point Littlefan.

To both you and Lilac Blossom UTI can bring such a change. Antibiotics can work wonders and I hope that is the case here.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Just a quick "thank you" for all the replies - very kind and greatly appreciated. OH is having antibiotics but no great change yet. I'm just getting ready to visit so will see what change, if any, since yesterday.

LittleFan - a warm welcome to you. OH has those sudden dips in blood pressure as you have described, resulting in falls with no prior warning - very alarming. I hope they can find a way to help your hubby whilst he is in hospital.

I care for OH on my own (no family input) so it has been a real struggle for me for a long time. I hope I can still continue to care for him at home - he has a care worker in the morning approx. 25 minutes, otherwise only me - we'll just have to see what the next few days bring.

Anyway - off to visit now - will post again later

LittleFan

Apr 26, 2015
Hello all, thank you for the kind welcome:)
Got the results from his urine test nothing wrong there.
It all seems to be revolving around his blood pressure, every time he stands or sits up it plummets to fainting point!
Went to go visit him today, they now have him lead down almost flat in bed with padding all up the sides of the cot so he can't sit up or get out of bed.
Since he has been in this flat position he seems a LOT less confused and actually knew who I was, unlike yesterday where he could barely speak and was extremely confused.
Do all or most Dementia sufferers endure such sever blood pressure problems? Or should the doctors be looking for something els other than the dementia as the cause?

Lilac blossom- Thank you for your warm welcome and the update on your situation:) I really hope that the antibiotics start to kick in and your hubby's condition improves! I can only imagine how difficult it's has been and is for you to manage on your own with no support from family, my heart goes out to you!
I will continue to keep in touch and up to date.
Best wishes to you all!
Stay strong everyone!

-Littlefan

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby still in hospital - antibiotic course seems to be working on clearing UTI so he could be back home by the weekend. Seeing him in hospital instead of usual home setting emphasises how frail he is now. One of the nurses on duty today told me she was quite shocked to see how much he had deteriorated since last time he was in hospital in November.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Thinking of you both - Lilacblossom and LittleFan. So horrible to see your husband's in hospital, so frail and confused. Do hope the outcome for both is positive and will be thinking of you all. WIFE

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby is now home again so we are back to usual (I do not say normal) routine. UTi has cleared thanks to antibiotics. Hospital contacted Community Nurse to call in to do INR blood test today so now I am waiting for her to phone back to let me know what OH's new Warfarin dosage needs to be. I appreciate that they do this but it is frustrating that it takes a whole day when I daren't even go out the back door to hang out washing - they are not happy if you are not right here to answer the door immediately, even though the door is not locked.

Hubby is quite relaxed, does not remember that he has been in hospital :)