Hubby has been prescribed Quetiapine

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby has been prescribed Quetiapine to help with the agitation which has increasingly become a problem recently. It's a very low dosage, 25 mg, with the instruction to start off with half a tablet. I gave him 12.5 last night and also the night before. About 1.5 hours later he became really restless in bed, trying to turn around which he is normally incapable of doing - he always sleeps on his right side. This creates another problem as he has a catheter and he ended up with the tube connecting the night bag getting twisted round both of his legs - this has only ever happened on the two nights he has had Quetiapine.

Has anyone used Quetiapine and if so, what problems or benefits did you experience?

Thanks - Lilac

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I would stop administering it and report back to whoever prescribed it, if the catheter tube becomes twisted and blocked it can lead to other problems.

It was the first medication my wife was given, it immediately gave her parkinsonism shakes and I stopped it. The solution to prevent agitation was Memantine and Sodium Valproate, my wife's final diagnosis was Lewy Body Dementia.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH was on Quetiapine for a while, but I noticed he had an increased rate of TIAs at that time ( he has vas dem and Alzheimer's ). Quetiapine was replaced with Memantine, and frequency of TIAs dropped.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
MIL took Quetiapine 5 years ago when she was first diagnosed, this really helped with her aggressive outbursts.

We gradually reduced it once we moved and she was a bit more settled.

She has now been prescribed it again for her agitation and restlessness. She took 25mg at night but we noticed no difference so this week the CPN has increased it to 25mg morning and night. If it works as well as it did before I'll be happy.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Thank you Nitram, Spamar, Margaret and Sistermillicent for your prompt replies and advice. I'll check on Monday with the GP who prescribed quetiapine and see what he suggests.

Thamks again
Lilac