Hubby going into CH for respite

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I need some advice, l don't think l can take my hubby to the CH, my family feel the same, will someone from the CH collect him, he is going for 2wks to give me a break, l can't imagine how he will be as he doesn't like locked doors. Is it wise not to visit, l think it is best not to, feeling very scared

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't think you should if you feel like this but I would like to know why your family can't do this? Because while I understand why they don't want to, they aren't living with him all the time as you are, and they need to provide the support they can for your sake.

Anyway you could probably ask the care home or your your social worker to provide transport, although you should expect to pay.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
I need some advice, l don't think l can take my hubby to the CH, my family feel the same, will someone from the CH collect him, he is going for 2wks to give me a break, l can't imagine how he will be as he doesn't like locked doors. Is it wise not to visit, l think it is best not to, feeling very scared

Hi pamann, I would think someone from the CH could come and collect him, or arrange transport. When Robert first went into Respite I didn't visit as I thought it would upset him. Hopefully the doors being locked won't be apparent to him so he won't notice. I am sure he will be well looked after and you can definitely have some ME well deserved time for yourself to recharge the batteries. Hope you have read Scarlett's thread about being Guilty. I know we all feel it, but do try and relax during your 2 weeks. I was very scared, but it is for the best, otherwise you cannot carry on looking after him. Thinking of you and send a big hug xx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Oh Pam, I also think they will collect him . Such a tough time but you do need the 2 weeks . Like Disi said I am sure hubby will be fine . My heart goes out to you xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Pamann

My CPN came with us and when Dhiren went into permanent care two members of the Mental Health Team came then.

I feel for you Pam, your heart will be turning over. Please ask for support but if you can, go with your husband too. The care home staff will take over when you need to leave. No one can make it easier but you need the rest and no harm will come to your husband. xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you disi, jennifer, and Heike, for you advice, l am looking forward to the respite as l am worn out, l have read Scarlett's thread, which is so true we all need a break, l don'feel guilty, because l have given him 55yrs of my life, the CH hubby is going to we have visited every week for the last 2yrs, as a family member has been resident there, she died 3months ago. No other home will take him as he is a wanderer, but no longer safe to keep wandering outside, hates being trapped indoors. I am sure they will be able to manage him, as they all know him.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I agree with GrannieG. It is so very hard to do and I know it was very upsetting. I left in tears but, for me, and I'm only talking about me here, it was what I had to do.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I told John he was going to a hotel for a break, whilst I had an operation. I'm sure the CH can arrange transport, or perhaps SS can do this for you. I hope you've got some treats lined up for yourself. xxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Good luck, pamann. Hope it all goes as well as possible and you get the rest you deserve. Good your Husband is familiar with the CH.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
That is good, Pamann. that your husband is familiar with the care home. I hope all goes well and that you get the full benefit from respite, manage to relax, recharge your batteries.

Our GP wanted Henry to go into respite for a week or two, but he totally refused to comply, same about attending a day centre. Do do some enjoyable things for yourself, and not too much of what you may feel 'needs to be done'.

Love
Loo xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you es and loo, l am booking into a spa retreat to be pampered just for 3 days.☺

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
That sounds wonderful Pam. My husband is staying in a CH in October for the first time so I can go away with my dau for a couple of days. I hope you can plan regular breaks even if they're not very frequent. Having something to look forward to really helps.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello es this is my hubbys first respite, can't imagine how he will be, he doesn't like being in always worked outside. We must have a break l think its every 6wks, which will be great.☺

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Pamann, my husband has been into respite three times now and is due to go again in October so I can go away with my daughters (snap Es). I never tell him in advance, I tell him the morning he is going in that I have to go away for a few days and, as no-one will be here, he is going to a sort of hotel where they will look after him. The last two times I have gone away on holiday and my daughters have gone in to see him. He has been fine. He likes to wander and as there is so much space he can walk around unhindered although, being am EMI CH, doors are locked. The staff are really good at distracting. Hope all goes well with your hubby. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Jinx l am feeling very positive that all will be well, as all the staff know us, they are shocked that he has deteriorated so fast, it was only 3months ago when hubby's cousin died, they knew he had AD, but not knowing how bad it was. Assessment tomorrow, fingers crossed they will accept him.