Hubby dying

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
Could you ring the number of the District nurses or ask for the Hospice at Home team?

You really sound like you need help. I am struggling with my tiny mum but with lots of support so I don't honestly know how you are coping, I so hope you get the help you need.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Sending you a big hugs and some love. Such a sad post. Thinking of you xxx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry to hear about your husband,

When I rang 111 for advice when my husband was ill and I needed help they gave me the phone number of the out of hours district nurses as they work nights and weekends as well, they might do the same in your area

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Anne, you have been on my mind so I'm just hoping you are Ok. No need to reply -just wanted to say that you and your dear Husband are both in our thoughts.

Love

Lyn T XX

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Thinking of you and your husband at this sad time, Anne. Sincerely hope you manage to get the help you so desperately need right now. WIFE

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
LG...I'm so sorry to read this. The only idea as a source of aid that I can think of is...do you have a local Hospice or a telephone number for MacMillan Nurses that you could call for help?

Thinking of you both with love..x.x.

Miche47uk

Apr 3, 2015
Surrey
Well it's been 8 long years since hubby had his stroke and 4 years since the VasD diagnosis.
Started about 4 weeks ago when he had a recurrence of gallstone trouble then the day after a urine infection. He more or less stopped drinking after that and has stopped eating this last 8/9 days although his drinking did pick up for a couple of days.
GP was called out or phoned nearly every day last week until Thursday when the Doc gave me the option of have blood tests done to rule out and physical cause.
Bloods came back normal, Doc was looking for low sodium/magnesium/potassium.
So when he phoned Friday with results I asked him time scales.
Not eating approx. 2 months, not drinking or eating approx. 2 weeks.
Hubby is really not good, just lying there, rarely speaks but still manages a lovely smile sometimes- I said 'That's a lovely smile' and he said 'it's only for you' so hubby is still there somewhere.
I have finally had to ask the local hospice for some help as hubby cannot stand and I am struggling changing his pads but, of course, there is no-one there as it's a bank holiday. Just hope I can somehow change him the next 2 days. Although he has lost 3 stone he is still 16 stone.
Anyway I would just like to thank everyone on the forum including all the people that run it. Without this forum I would still have been in the dark as it has taught me so much and been an invaluable help over the years
Take care of yourselves
Anne

Hi Anne,

We had something similar whilst Mum was in a care home but different in that she definitely had a urine infection and they clearly were not on top of that or indeed pushing fluids...we over ruled them and the doctors and demanded an ambulance even though the doctor who had never seen Mum in his life was saying "oh but she is so comfortable and its so invasive at hospital", I know Mum and a UTI on top of vascular dementia in my Mum, especially not treated presented a Mum that was giving up...that was last July....she is no longer in a care home, or rather she is but its a one to one home with me as the carer, a different home pulled her right back (I didn't even know she could walk for a year).. if he is that dehydrated maybe a pep up via IV drip would help and didn't they culture his urine sample? Throw a UTI on top of any kind of dementia and it's a recipe for disaster?? Yes hospital is invasive, yes canula's hurt and may cause distress but myself and my brother spoon fed and encouraged Mum back on her feet again, had we not been there we wouldn't have a Mum now. She attends a day centre in the week, walks with a frame, eats and drinks normally now and has pulled herself back from the brink. I don't know what stage your husband is at but my question is really , could IV fluids and a hospital setting be better for him now? xx