1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. littlegem

littlegem Registered User

Nov 11, 2010
    north Wales
    Well it's been 8 long years since hubby had his stroke and 4 years since the VasD diagnosis.
    Started about 4 weeks ago when he had a recurrence of gallstone trouble then the day after a urine infection. He more or less stopped drinking after that and has stopped eating this last 8/9 days although his drinking did pick up for a couple of days.
    GP was called out or phoned nearly every day last week until Thursday when the Doc gave me the option of have blood tests done to rule out and physical cause.
    Bloods came back normal, Doc was looking for low sodium/magnesium/potassium.
    So when he phoned Friday with results I asked him time scales.
    Not eating approx. 2 months, not drinking or eating approx. 2 weeks.
    Hubby is really not good, just lying there, rarely speaks but still manages a lovely smile sometimes- I said 'That's a lovely smile' and he said 'it's only for you' so hubby is still there somewhere.
    I have finally had to ask the local hospice for some help as hubby cannot stand and I am struggling changing his pads but, of course, there is no-one there as it's a bank holiday. Just hope I can somehow change him the next 2 days. Although he has lost 3 stone he is still 16 stone.
    Anyway I would just like to thank everyone on the forum including all the people that run it. Without this forum I would still have been in the dark as it has taught me so much and been an invaluable help over the years
    Take care of yourselves
    Anne

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Registered User

Jan 29, 2012
    West Midlands
    Thinking of you and try to keep strong. xx

3. tre

tre Registered User

Sep 23, 2008
    Herts
    I do not know what to say except I have tears in my eyes reading your post. My thoughts are with you and your husband.
    Do you have any contact with the district nursing team? I only ask because we had help from a lovely district nurse recently over the Easter Bank holiday and they are around on weekends and public holidays.
    My thoughts are with you.
    Tre

4. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    I am sorry to hear such sad news and hope that everything possible is being done to keep your husband comfortable and peaceful. In turn that will help you face this difficult time.

As and when you feel up to it please keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you. Try to take care of yourself too.

5. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Thinking of you
    I don't know if Social services have an out of hours service where you are, a lot of areas do

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    #6 Izzy, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Anne I'm so sorry to read your sad news. Thinking of you and wishing you strength. x

7. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Anne. I'm sorry that you are posting with such sad news. I hope you are coping as well as you possibly can. I tried looking for the number of SS's in N Wales, but without knowing what Town you are near it was impossible, Could you phone 111 and perhaps get some help that way? In the meantime I hope that you find the strength needed and your Husband is peaceful.

Thinking of you

Lyn T XX

8. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    So sad to read

Thinking of you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

9. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Thinking of you xx

10. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Sorry to hear this Anne - hope you manage to get some help over the weekend.

11. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    Thinking of you take care

12. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    My heart goes out to you , hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

13. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    Thinking of you xx

Lin x

14. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`m so sorry to hear your news Anne. We know it will happen but it doesn`t make it any easier.

I do hope you can get some help.

15. tinap

tinap Registered User

Nov 2, 2014
    west midlands
    Thinking of you both my heart goes out to you try to stay strong Tina

16. Acco

Acco Registered User

Oct 3, 2011
    Sorry to learn of your present situation but happy that 'hubby is still there somewhere' - one of those moments to treasure. I hope you get some help soon in the interests of both of you.

17. chelsea girl

chelsea girl Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
  18. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    Very sad for you, a most difficult and heart breaking time.

Lovely that he said those loving words to you - somewhere deep within they are there.

When you feel like it do let us know how he is, and how you are. Wishing you continued strength.

My thoughts are with you

Loo xx

19. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Such a sad time for you. I do hope you are able to get some help. These crises take no notice of weekends or Bank Holidays and there should be help available. I hope you are able to find it.

20. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I feel such sadness for you. Yes, it is a Bank holiday but for family carers there is no such thing. What beautiful words your husband spoke to you. Something to treasure for a long time to come. Sending you a hug and masses of sympathy. xxx