hubby back in hospital

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Yesterday he was taken to hospital again. This time as he has been falling a lot. He hasn't injuried himself though. The nursing home is finding it hard to cope with the falls 12 in 24hrs. I don't no what is happening now. Last report hospital gave me is no change!! He is confused and a bit aggitated as he doesn't no whats going on and where he is. He was put in a assessment ward overnight and today is being moved again to a medical ward. I was with him over 5hrs yesterday ( left on a trolley for 3 hrs). Its the falls that is the problem and thats because he is weak due to the swallowing problem and he still wants to wander. If they keep him in bed they only make him worse, and all the moving is making him more distressed.In the nursing home he is settled and sleeps no problem. I'm trying to find out if he is in there for treatment or what. ( I'm supposed to be going to this hospital next month i'm not happy with them)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Sorry to hear that , Chip..you must be exhausted.

Hope you get things sorted out soon..it all sounds very distressing for you both.

Love gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear chip,

I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound as if the balance is gone, and it's so hard when that happens to someone who is a 'wanderer'.

I do think they should let you know what's going on, though. I think you should ask to see the consultant, as primary carer you should be involved in decisions.

I hope you get some information today.

Love,

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Been told he will not be going back to the nursing home. He has too complex symptoms and rapid deterioration. The hospital said they have had a few younger dementia suffers like him. He is now going into NHS care. Thats only 15weeks since i was told he didnt qualify for NHS care and it was a nursing home he needed!The only problem is now where is he going to be put. He is in the hospital until a place is found for him.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well, that's good news and bad, isn't it chip?

Good that you've finally got continuing care, so you can stop worrying about funding. But bad that they think his health is bad enough to need it.

What sort of placement are they looking at? I hope there will be somewhere close so that you can visit.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dear Chip - I am really sorry to read your post as my husband has 'high falls risk' too - so do understand where you are.

In some ways it is good news about Cont.Care - you just make sure the placement is where YOU want it. I am sure it will work out for the best although it is a terrible situation to be in. (You may have picked up on some of our story so I do understand the emotions you must be experiencing right now).

Take care Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Chip,

You knew how poorly your husband was, so however upsetting it is to have such a decision made, I hope it takes away some of the uncertaincy in your life.

Perhaps now you know he will be well cared for, you can concentrate on your own health.

Love xx

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Chip
I am sorry to hear that hubby has had another down turn. Even when we know they are going to happen, it is always a shock, it is always distressing. From your post, it appears he is getting proper medical attention and also continuing care. This must be a relief after all your previous worries. Some small comfort. Please take care of yourself as well Chip
Take care
hendy

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Chip

Sorry to hear about your husband.
My Mum was admitted to an NHS continuing care home, in January, after a disaterous stay in an assessment ward in the hospital.

I must say that I was none too happy about this home after reading the care commission reports. The home is owned and managed by BUPA, but contracts 3 units of 30 beds each, to NHS continuing care, for dementia patients with challenging behaviour.

I was told by the consultant at hospital that Mum "didn't have long" and I ageed with him, going by Mum's condition

However, this home has turned Mum around and I don't now believe that "she doesn't have long" but as we know anything can happen.

In my opinion, The Care Commission reports only ticks boxes or not, as the case maybe, but doesn't take into account the type of patient each home has as residents. Go see homes for yourself, although I know the choice maybe limited.

I know that if Mum had been left in hospital and not moved to this home, where they have experienced staff, we would not have her with us now.

Take care of yourself
Love
Alfjess

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He is so unsettled in the hospital too many different faces, different routine, different enviroment. He isn't settling or sleeping at night. They are giving him soft thickened foods and he is sallowing it although his swallowing is delayed. The problem now is he is catching up with sleep during the day so they now are having to wake him up to eat.The nursing home was good it was just the high fall risk as he was with elderly and the youngest they had. I've to phone up the nursing home on monday. So on Monday now its Social Services, Hubbies hospital assesment again, nursing home, and now the post has just delivered a financil collection form with my full address but with a wrong name for someone else in a different nursing home! some system they have.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi chip, I do hope your husband settles soon, it's bound to be another upset for him.

The sleeping during the day is quite normal. John still eats normally, but I often have a struggle to keep him awake long enough to finish his meal.

Sounds as if you've another stressful day on Monday, good luck with it all. I hope the assessment goes well, and you get some info on where he'll be going.

Love,

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Hi Chip, Just an idea, has hubby been accessed by a speech therapist for his swallowing ? Dad as thickening stuff that makes it easier for him to swallow tea or fluids in general. It takes him twice to swallow drinks, and helps stop fluid entering his lungs.
He is now eating and drinking well and gaining weight again after beings unable to eat more than a spoonful of food a few weeks ago.
Thickening is just for fluids, his food as been liquidized after he was assessed by the speech therapist about 6 months ago. Jan

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Yes he has been assessed by a speech therapist the Nursing Home seen to that. They also done a lot to bring him back to some strength after having aspiration pneumonia. They done a lot for him and spoke to me all the time. I've been told the hospital are looking for a psychiatric unit somewhere to put him in to. I don't want him in one. Surly if he is NHS funded now he could go back to the Nursing Home where he was happy and they could get more staff in to look after him, its also not far from me. They were going to bring more staff in at one point. Monday is going to be hard but I'm talking to the Nursing Home then. The hospital seem to be making decisions and I'm getting messages passed on only when i phone up, i also don't seem to be getting involved. Considering he only went into the ward yesterday they assessed him when he was totally with strangers and in a strange environment with no communication with me. I didn't no he had been assessed until i phoned up and asked what is happening. I'm just not happy i wouldn't like that to happen to me. We both were happy with the Nursing Home they done a lot for us both. I am unable to go to the hospital as my son is away so i really dint no what its like or the staff are like, but i no there is a change of staff a lot and thats not going down too well with him. HS funded can be provided in a hospital, nursing home or patients own home.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Chip

I think from my experience of Mum, that a care facility has to have a contract with the NHS to provide for continuing care.

Maybe the nursing home your husband was living in previously, doesn't have a contract, for NHS continuing care, so therefore now, cannot meet his needs, as he has been assessed as needing continuing care.

The way I see the nursing home where Mum is - It is has more homely atmosphere than a hospital ward, with very experienced nursing, pyschiatric nurses and dementia trained carers. Consultant psychiatrist, visits once a week and the GP visits twice a week

When we get to stage of our loved ones needing continuing care, this is the best we can hope for, because the choice is limited

Love
Alfjess

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Chip and Alfjess
Its so frustrating that at the time when they need the most special care, we have such limited options. I'm stickng my heels in to try and get the care Dad needs even if they have to bring more nursing staff to do it. Chip have you asked whether hubby can go back to his previous home? I think you've got a good argument in your favour. If you can say he was happy and more stable there(continuity of care etc). Like you say, if they had extra staff to help manage the falls/mobility issues. Will he still have these problems in another home ayway?
take care
hendy

Last edited:

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hendy no matter where he went he would have the fall issue. He had a fall when the hospital transfered him to the ward and split his head. Its just he doesnt understand how weak he is and still wants to wander. He is so thin due to his eating/swallowing problems his body has used up all his body resourses hence rapid weight loss and weakness. He is classed as young and it is a problem with the younger ones as they tend to be more active.I've just found out that the ward didn't get the message that he couldnt swallow and meds had to be liquid they have just ordered his meds in liquid form

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman