How's everyone coping in the heat?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Just got a call from Dad's care home, they are worried about him today as his mobility has not been good. Dr wouldn't come out (literally next door, but still) and so they called 111 who advised calling paramedics, so they called them out and they didn't want to admit him (and no-one wants him to go, of course). The paramedics reckon he's probably got an underlying UTI and the heat has made him very weak. He's in one of the areas which has a weather warning and it's very hot in his room so they are trying to keep him cool, get him to drink and getting him some antibiotics. It does make me think how quickly he can go downhill though, really glad he is in residential care and not living on his own any more.

I think I'm hoping people will say this can happen in heatwaves and he'll bounce back but I know people do get very poorly when it's hot.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I wanted to share the wet T-shirt solution! Run a t-shirt under the cold tap, wring it out and put it on. Then stand in front of your fan. Instant cool!

If we all put wet t-shirts on I expect we'll have lots of fans...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
because i have a morphine patch on my back, i couldnt do that as it would make it too wet and could risk it falling off or itch. all ive done all day is wiping down with cold wet flannel and dry drips and go in front of the fan.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I used to dread the hot weather with mum in the carehome. She always
ended up in bed unable to stay awake. Sometimes she had a uti other times not but I think the underlying problem was inadequate hydration.
It was always a worry though. I remember laying cold wet flannels on her forehead because she didn't want the fan blowing on her. Getting her to drink extra fluids was difficult when she was so sleepy. GPs should be more supportive to care home staff I think. It unfairly impacts on emergency services otherwise.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
My daughter bought a cool mat for her baby to lie on. Apparently you put it in the freezer and it keeps chilled. I am afraid baby was given to her mum to feed whilst I hugged the cool mat

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
My daughter bought a cool mat for her baby to lie on. Apparently you put it in the freezer and it keeps chilled. I am afraid baby was given to her mum to feed whilst I hugged the cool mat
You can get those for dogs and they don't need freezing, somehow they suck the heat out. Dad could do with one under his sheet on the mattress, but still needs to drink.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I wanted to share the wet T-shirt solution! Run a t-shirt under the cold tap, wring it out and put it on. Then stand in front of your fan. Instant cool!

If we all put wet t-shirts on I expect we'll have lots of fans...
Haha that's a great idea although I think I am well past the wet T-shirt stage of life and I don't want to frighten my husband.

I did just have a sit out in the garden with a chocolate ice cream in the dark, the garden chair was still a bit wet after the amazing storm we had earlier so I have slightly damp pyjama bottoms. It was rather nice sitting out there and if this weather carries on much longer I may get the tent out and camp in the garden.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Rang the home yesterday, apparently dad had slipped put of bed, I think that was when they called paramedics. He wasn't hurt at all, although he was checked for stroke. To be honest his brain scans showed mild strokes in the past but he's never been caught having one so who knows if this was another one.
He was a bit better yesterday and had started antibiotics. They'll test him in a few days to see if he still has a infection. But apparently he was sat with his fan and tv on with his feet up as his legs have swelled in the heat, especially the one with poor circulation. He was a bit more chatty too so hopefully on the mend. Weather should break soon and hopefully he'll be feeling much better.

Meanwhile next door let their baby cry for an hour this morning so I was awake earlier than usual. Poor thing is only nine months. Windows all open so his cries echoing round the street. Probably too hot or sun in his eyes - the elderly not the only ones suffering in the hot weather I suppose!

Alex63

Apr 1, 2020
Haha that's a great idea although I think I am well past the wet T-shirt stage of life and I don't want to frighten my husband.

I did just have a sit out in the garden with a chocolate ice cream in the dark, the garden chair was still a bit wet after the amazing storm we had earlier so I have slightly damp pyjama bottoms. It was rather nice sitting out there and if this weather carries on much longer I may get the tent out and camp in the garden.
We are using damp towels round the neck seems to work well but was very tempted by a chill blanket for sale in costco, silky material that felt cool on the hand

Keith_Hobbs

Dec 23, 2020
She didn't do this when it was super hot fortunately, but through June when it was 20-25C outside often when I'd go to her house it would be like a sauna because she had manually turned her central heating on at some point, and then forgotten she'd done it, and claimed she hadn't touched it. She lives only so no-one else has access. She seems to have gotten out of the habit now thanfully. I'm due to take meter reads this weekend so that will show in real terms how much the system has been on.