How will you spend christmas?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
After everything went pear shaped 2 days before Christmas last year, hopefully I'll at least get to enjoy a bit of it this year. I was so tired after driving 100s of miles from 11.30pm on 23 to 4 am on 24th, that the day itself passed in a blur - kids did get stockings to unwrap, full christmas dinner was cooked and I fell asleep at neighbours do on xmas eve.

Mum has come to stay with us at Christmas most years since I left Uni with odd year at my (now almost invisible) brothers. So planning to try and carry on as normal for this year. She used to drive up 3.5 hours (got lost on way last year was how her life unravelled) and now lives 10mins away so I don't know whether to pick her up on xmas day for the day or xmas eve and take her back on boxing day. The later means I get to drink, but I could do it with taxis I suppose. Think she will get very tired if she is here for the 2 nights and we no longer have a dedicated spare room. In fact, as I write, I don't think I could put her in a kids room, as now she will fiddle with their stuff and move it, so need to resurrect spare room in some form or not have her staying. Also not sure if she will still remember all the Christmas rituals with the children, with the younger one being 9 I want to preserve these (eg stockings/FAther Christmas, can see her saying it isn't real)

Friend who normally comes on Xmas day broke his leg yesterday so I may have to drive to pick him up as well, he is too far away to think of a taxi.