1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

    Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

    Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

How/where can I get care before diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by josephinewilson, May 24, 2015.

  1. josephinewilson

    josephinewilson Registered User

    May 19, 2015
    My 85 year old mother who lives in sheltered accommodation had a memory assessment this week and is awaiting a brain scan and presumably a further appt from the GP. She lives in sheltered acommodation and although I visit her 3 times a week to take her out and get her shopping I am concerned she doesn't have a visitor in between times and I am increasingly concerned about her. Where do I go to find a carer to visit her, if only socially once a day for a short period? I presume if she gets a diagnosis then we will be told about options but these things could take weeks and I think she needs a visitor sooner. Of course, the fact that she thinks she is fine and that any care visitor would be "under foot" is another issue ;) but I am new to the system. Do I just find a private care organisation and ask them for a meeting? How do I know they are reputable? Thanks.
  2. nitram

    nitram Registered User

    Apr 6, 2011
    North Manchester
    Not having a formal diagnosis does not prevent her having a care assessment by the LA.

    As things have progressed to the stage where a brain scan is deemed necessary to help with the diagnosis it is obvious that problematic symptoms have been observed.

    Contact the LA to get the ball rolling, don't wait for a diagnosis of the reason for the problem just present the LA with a statement (and if possible a log of events) and ask for an assessment.

    At the same time you should ask for a carer's assessment for yourself.

    As she is in sheltered accommodation she should be eligible for attendance at at least the lower rate. Has this been applied for/obtained?
  3. Cath59

    Cath59 Registered User

    Jan 23, 2015
    My mum deteriorated fast so we only started looking at these things before realising she needed a care home. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon but to start you off.
    First question is funding - if self funding you'll be more or less on your own anyway. If assets are low enough to qualify for help ask for a Social Services assessment. That should reflect needs and not be dependent on a diagnosis. If you're self funding we found our local Alzheimer's support worker excellent for information on what should be available and what to look for. I understand Age UK can be pretty good as well. All care organisations are CQC inspected. Make sure you thoroughly read the reports for any agencies you look at. Good luck!!
  4. Quilty

    Quilty Registered User

    Aug 28, 2014
    My mums social worker gave me a list of care agencies. The first one we used was only when i went away on a two week holiday. They were not very friendly and mum didnt like them. The next holiday i tried a different agency and they really clicked with mum. When i returned we had then come in every day for 30 minutes. This was first thing in the morning to get her up, meds and some breakfast. We paid for this but it worked well. Social services put a key safe in for us to help carers get access.
  5. josephinewilson

    josephinewilson Registered User

    May 19, 2015

    Thanks for all your suggestions. I have emailed a couple of nearby care services and will see what they say this week. My mother has more than the 23K I think is the limit, so I expect she will have to pay for everything. I did look at attendance allowance although the effort involved in filling in the paperwork I did find rather daunting - but maybe I should persevere as I know it's not income related and she may well be entitled to it.
  6. Pickles53

    Pickles53 Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Yes, you should apply for AA. The firms do look daunting, but if you contact AS or Age UK they should have someone who can help ensure that you put all the correct information in the right way. Remember you need to have required help for six months before payments can start.
  7. josephinewilson

    josephinewilson Registered User

    May 19, 2015
    "You need to have required help for 6 months before payment starts" What does "help" mean? All she has had in recent months has been me visiting her and taking her out, and now the possibility of my getting a carer to visit. Does that count? Or do I need to wait until she has had "official" outside help for 6 months before applying?
  8. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    Nothing to do with official help. It just means any help with taking medication, personal hygiene, dressing, preparing or eating food, getting out and about, shopping etc etc., the form spells it out quite clearly. The six months refer to when the need for help started, whether that need was fulfilled or not.
  9. Grannie G

    Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

    Apr 3, 2006

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.