How to

Cheeseontoast1

Oct 10, 2021
My husband (50s) was diagnosed with YOA a few
months ago, after a very long journey trying to find out what was going on.

He is in early/early middle stage and I am really struggling to cope. I am still working (I am
44) and I cannot afford to give up. I am also aware that I will need to support myself and our home on my own in the future. I am doing everything for us at home, cooking, cleaning, arranging everything for my husband, taxis and outings with others when I am at work, meds, etc etc. He seems to have lost much of his motivation, isn’t able to plan anything much and his short term memory is now very poor. He has recently started aricept which does seem to be helping (now on 10mg) He is waking me up once it starts to get light as he thinks it’s the morning. I have to make him wash and change his clothes. His quality of life is good I
hope, but I have very little life left. I am sick of answering the same questions over and over again. Please forgive me if that sounds unkind.

I am exhausted and increasingly depressed. I love my husband to bits, I miss him so much and I know this isn’t his fault, but I am becoming so resentful. This could go on for years yet and it just all feels so bleak, because I know what is going to happen. I’m not sure that I can cope.

Over the weekend, I told him how tired I was getting and that I was feeling low and he ignored me started to hum a tune. This felt like a new low.

We were given a dementia support worker, who is very sweet but didn’t have much idea of the challenges faced by YO and gave me wrong info re benefits etc.There are no local services for someone of my husbands age.

How on earth do others cope? It would just be lovely to talk to someone in the same situation.Thank you xxx

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Cheeseontoast1 I am sorry to hear about your difficult, seemingly impossible situation. It is not something I can help with as it is beyond my experience. I hope that some other members will be along soon to help. In the meantime I hope that it helps to know that you will always find a welcome and empathy here.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Cheeseontoast1.

I’m so sorry to read about your husband’s diagnosis. You are both so young. I wondered if this fact sheet would be of any help -

You might also find this thread useful -

I’m so glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll get lots of understanding and support here.