How to put a QUOTE in a post??

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Hi, when I have read something in a post and I want to include it in a reply, how do I do that, please?

If you want to quote the whole message you just hit the 'quote' button and then add your own message to it. If you don't want to quote the whole message do the same and then manually delete the bits you don't want.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It doesn`t take you long to learn new skills, does it Chris? Calendar yesterday. Quotes today. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think you can quote from two different people in one reply. Am I right? If so - how??

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Izzy, if you click the " at the bottom right of the first post you want to quote from (you can do this for as many posts as you like), then click QUOTE for the last on e you want.

You'll get the whole of each post in your reply box, so you have to delete all the bits you don't want.

It's very useful though.:)

XXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think you can quote from two different people in one reply. Am I right? If so - how??

Izzy, if you click the " at the bottom right of the first post you want to quote from (you can do this for as many posts as you like), then click QUOTE for the last on e you want.

You'll get the whole of each post in your reply box, so you have to delete all the bits you don't want.

XXX

Can I ask how you get two or more quotes from one person's reply, if you want to comment on more than one point?

Thanks
Mary
x

I think I've got it!!! Thank you Hazel!!!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think I've got it!!! Thank you Hazel!!!

By George, she's got it!:D

Mary, at the end of the first bit you want to quote, put in square bracket, forward slash, QUOTE, close bracket, just as at the end of the quote.

Reply to it.

Then bracket QUOTE bracket to start new quote, and the same procedure at the end. Again, you can do this as often as you like.

Sorry it's not very clear, but if I use the symbols it just comes out as a quote. Try it and use the preview button to see if it's worked.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Alternative method:

After closing the first quote and writing your reply, scroll down to the post you are using, highlight and copy the bit you want. Then click the quote button above, it looks liks a square speech bubble with writing on, and paste between the two sets of brackets.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I've not got this either!

I've been trying to suss this out here: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_posting

This is the relevant bit, I think ....
When using 'Quick Reply' you can choose to quote a particular post if you are replying to something someone wrote. You may need to click the quick reply button in a post to activate the quick reply box before you can type into it.

If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button . This button will change to indicate that you've selected it. Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted.

Can't see any 'Quick Reply button' - only 'New Reply'. ??

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jancis, I think that's wrong. It's the Quote button you need to click to bring up all your quotes.

Give it a try.:)

PS The only 'Quick Reply' I can find is in PMs. I'm sure Sandy will clarify when ahe's on

Last edited:

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey

Something strange is happening to my computer. Despite logging out and coming back onto theforum I am still getting old replies I was practising with before. Also I have lost the square brackets and colour for the quote.

Why am I so dim with the computer. I think I will switch it off completely and hope it will clear itself. Only happened when I tried multiple quotes

Merlin

merlin

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Every body/Moderates, Have plucked up the Confidence to use a "Quote" ( after reading how its done) :) BUT not come out right :eek::eek:. Please how do you put the Special Box in round the Quote ? Helen33 sent me a Quote in a Box :) What am i doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help/ got first bit right :

1) Pressed Quote Button

2) Put my reply & submit

Love Grove x x x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan