1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.

How to pay NH, State Pension

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by rose555, Jun 5, 2018.

1. rose555

rose555 Registered User

May 10, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Uncle is now at the NH. We have had Financial Assessment to see if we needed to pay for the Carers Visits he had at home, but I understand there will be another Financial Assessment about NH fees. No savings, only his state pension and a small private pension of about £110 a month which I know they will take half of and leave him about £23 a week for personal expenses.

I guess they will just redivert his state pension directly to the Nursing Home? But how will they take half of his private pension? Will we receive a bill? Feel so in the dark about the financial side of things.

All help appreciated. Thanks, Rose x

2. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Is your uncle’s wife still alive? If so then yes, the LA will allow her to retain half the private pension.
    However if she is not then all of it will go towards the home fees.
    The LA should send you an invoice monthly which you will then have to pay them. This sum will consist of the state pension plus the whole (or half) of the private pension minus the allowance made for personal spending by or for your uncle.
    They will then pay the nursing home though this may differ in some instances but the financial advisor who does your assessment will be able to tell you how it works with your authority.
    I am assuming that no topup is necessary.

3. rose555

rose555 Registered User

May 10, 2018
    Thanks @Saffie , yes his wife is still alive, ah, monthly invoice, I see. Rose