How to occupy my OH

ashtreex

Dec 16, 2018
London
I have just found some excellent carers who will come in 3 afternoons a week and give me time off. There are some obvious household tasks they can help with but the main idea is that they occupy my husband. Any suggestions?

He used to be a senior history professor, the house is full of history books.

There must be lots of things that I just can't think of!

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I think it is a case of trying different things and seeing what works. Don't expect too much from the initial meetings it could take time for your husband to accept the new situation. Also what works with one carer may not work with another.
With my wife, just having people come in and being with her has such positive effects that last ages after the carers leave.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I have just found some excellent carers who will come in 3 afternoons a week and give me time off. There are some obvious household tasks they can help with but the main idea is that they occupy my husband. Any suggestions?

He used to be a senior history professor, the house is full of history books.

There must be lots of things that I just can't think of!
Hello @ashtreex the carers that come in for my partner usually take him for a walk in the local park, one of them has taken him out further afield. One of them gives him a shave and they've attempted a bit of weeding together, putting out the recyling, doing dementia jigsaw puzzles and one of them said he'd help with putting together a ship model (but he's been on holiday since then). As you and your husband get used to the carers you'll probably come up with other ideas.

Stripey3

May 29, 2019
@ ashtreez
I have struggled to keep Mum occupied. Colouring books and pencils kept her busy for a while but she get fed up with that. i have introduced jigsaw puzzles ( max 100 pieces and ones aimed for children, but not childish, if that makes sense) and she happily engages with those, sometimes for an hour or so and does them every day.
its a Case of trial and error and when the novelty wears off I will have to find something else.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
How about a memory box? I put together a box for my husband and sometimes the carers go through it with him. In it is the odd bit or two that relates to the work he used to do. There is also a photograph album with photos of family members. The item that works best is a 1950s scrapbook that I bought from Alzproducts which has pictures of things we used to buy int the 50s and pictures of world events and famous people. He loves to talk about the things he can remember.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
How about a memory box? I put together a box for my husband and sometimes the carers go through it with him. In it is the odd bit or two that relates to the work he used to do. There is also a photograph album with photos of family members. The item that works best is a 1950s scrapbook that I bought from Alzproducts which has pictures of things we used to buy int the 50s and pictures of world events and famous people. He loves to talk about the things he can remember.
What a great idea, I'm going to try and do the same.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman