How to obtain Ebixa,

stormin58

Nov 25, 2006
Liverpool
Hello,:)
I am new to the forum, my mother has just been diagnosed with dementia. My father has asked me to look into the possibility of how we can get Ebixa. I am aware that it can be purchased via the internet, and with a private prescription.
Can anyone advise the best source for purchasing it, or how you can get a private prescription in the UK, to obtain it via a chemist.

Thanks,
Jimi. ;)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya stormin58,
Welcome to TP. I have moved your post as I think it will get more responses here.
Helen

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi - cannot help you but just interested in the replies. My husband is on Aricept and in now way will we be able to get Ebixa on NHS - I am aware that we may need to purchase when Aricept is no longer effective - our GP seemed to be totally unaware of Ebixa (said he had never heard of it!!!!!!!!). Hope you get some good replies Beckyjan

stormin58

Nov 25, 2006
Liverpool
Thanks for your help.

Hi its Jimi, :)
Thanks to you all, for your help, and the valuble replies. I will tell my dad, and get him to approach the doctor regarding the drug ,and issuing the prescription. Will let you know what happens in due course.

Regards,
Jimi. :cool:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I hope you get it , I know not every one the same .But for my mother its work wonders lucky for my mum she got it before the new ruling came out from NICE So mum still gets it on the national health .

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John had six months of Ebixa (on top of his Galantamine), but it had no effect at all. He's been off it now for six months, and I'm wondering whether to try it again, he has deteriorated so much recently.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I got this from my mother package leaflet .

Ebixa is used for treatment of patients with moderately severe to server Alzheimer’s disease.

Memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease is due to the disturbance of message signals in the brain.

The brain contains so called NMDA –receptors that are involved in transmitting nerve signals important in learning and memory .Ebixa belongs to a group of medicines called NMDA .Exbixa acts on NMDA –receptor improving the transmission of nerve signals and the memory

If you want to know what NMDA ( like I did ) this is a link that tell you about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMDA

more link this link I feel is realy good in
Explaining it in more detail
http://www.alzheimers.org.au/upload/Ebixa.pdf

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/I_have_dementia/Treatments/ebixa.htm

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Margarita: very helpful (not read the link yet but will do so).
Beckyjan
(agree with you about the 'no guilt' on other thread - if we all do our best there is nothing to feel guilty about.