1. stormin58

stormin58 Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Liverpool
    Hello,:)
    I am new to the forum, my mother has just been diagnosed with dementia. My father has asked me to look into the possibility of how we can get Ebixa. I am aware that it can be purchased via the internet, and with a private prescription.
    Can anyone advise the best source for purchasing it, or how you can get a private prescription in the UK, to obtain it via a chemist.

Thanks,
    Jimi. ;)

2. Amy

Amy Registered User

Jan 4, 2006
    Hiya stormin58,
    Welcome to TP. I have moved your post as I think it will get more responses here.
    Helen

3. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    Hi - cannot help you but just interested in the replies. My husband is on Aricept and in now way will we be able to get Ebixa on NHS - I am aware that we may need to purchase when Aricept is no longer effective - our GP seemed to be totally unaware of Ebixa (said he had never heard of it!!!!!!!!). Hope you get some good replies Beckyjan

4. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Hi Stormin58
    Private prescription,private Doctor.
    Norman

5. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    You might want to look here
    http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/InfoOnPrescrib0904~Pats&Prescrib

If your GP is willing, it is perfectly possible for him/her to write a private prescription. However, he can't charge you to write that script (becasue that would essentially be converting a NHS patient to a private patient). If you were happy with the GP, though, I would think that would be the most obvious first step.

6. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    Thanks for that and for the link -I feel more able to discuss now with our GP
    Beckyjan

7. stormin58

stormin58 Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Liverpool
    Thanks for your help.

Hi its Jimi, :)
    Thanks to you all, for your help, and the valuble replies. I will tell my dad, and get him to approach the doctor regarding the drug ,and issuing the prescription. Will let you know what happens in due course.

Regards,
    Jimi. :cool:

8. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    I hope you get it , I know not every one the same .But for my mother its work wonders lucky for my mum she got it before the new ruling came out from NICE So mum still gets it on the national health .

9. 800cjb

800cjb Registered User

Nov 28, 2006
    Hull, East Yorkshire
    what does ebixa actually do?

10. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    Good question - I need to know too. Beckyjan

11. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    John had six months of Ebixa (on top of his Galantamine), but it had no effect at all. He's been off it now for six months, and I'm wondering whether to try it again, he has deteriorated so much recently.

12. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #12 Margarita, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
    I got this from my mother package leaflet .

Ebixa is used for treatment of patients with moderately severe to server Alzheimer’s disease.

Memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease is due to the disturbance of message signals in the brain.

The brain contains so called NMDA –receptors that are involved in transmitting nerve signals important in learning and memory .Ebixa belongs to a group of medicines called NMDA .Exbixa acts on NMDA –receptor improving the transmission of nerve signals and the memory

If you want to know what NMDA ( like I did ) this is a link that tell you about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMDA

more link this link I feel is realy good in
    Explaining it in more detail
    http://www.alzheimers.org.au/upload/Ebixa.pdf

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/I_have_dementia/Treatments/ebixa.htm

13. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    Margarita: very helpful (not read the link yet but will do so).
    Beckyjan
    (agree with you about the 'no guilt' on other thread - if we all do our best there is nothing to feel guilty about.