How to make memory books for people with dementia - a talk

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Today I am giving a talk about how to make Memory Books at the Moulton Memory Cafe.
I had today planned out I was going to prepare for it :eek::eek::eek::eek:
thought it was tomorrow!
fortunately a friend is coming over to see me today and she has said she will take me and then I can go to her flat while she pops out to do her cleaning job and I can spend the evening with her!

Good job I checked the email this morning :)

for more info on how to make memory boks for people with dementia have a look at my website
creativesarah.weebly.com

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
The talk went well the cafe organiser seemed pleased and there was a lot of interaction.

I took some large photos that I had scanned from small ones and passed them around so we could talk about them

Thanks for all the support and believing in me

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Sarah

I'm so glad your talk went well. I remember following your advice on making a memory book some time ago for Roger and it has been brilliant. I enjoy looking through it too and remembering better times.

Jan x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Sarah

I'm so glad your talk went well. I remember following your advice on making a memory book some time ago for Roger and it has been brilliant. I enjoy looking through it too and remembering better times.

Jan x

I am so pleased that it has been of help to you I had better get on with writing the book!

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Hi Sarah, never had any doubt that it wouldn't be anything but fab.

I had looked at your website previously to get some guidance for making a book for my grandma but according family who are significantly closer then me to get into see her, it's too late as she is unable to engage very well with folk.

Guess I will keep the scrap book I had purchased and make it for my mum instead.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Sarah, never had any doubt that it wouldn't be anything but fab.

I had looked at your website previously to get some guidance for making a book for my grandma but according family who are significantly closer then me to get into see her, it's too late as she is unable to engage very well with folk.

Guess I will keep the scrap book I had purchased and make it for my mum instead.

When I was at the memory cafe I talked to a man who had been quiet the whole time
I commented on his ring which he was wearing and he really opened up.
You could try enlarging some photos and laminating them I found this worked well yesterday as people could see details in them that would have otherwise been missed
In the picture below we talked about where the people were going, what they were wearing, about the tanned boy who appears to photobomb the photo and that the lady on the right (very smart !) appeared to be holding my dads hand but she was in fact holding the arm of a mickey mouse doll and my dad was holding the other arm!

Attachments

• KVbeach2.jpg
    KVbeach2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 463

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Tomorrow I am giving the making memory books talk at Daventry Memory Cafe

I have decided to knuckle down on writing the book so today I have started writing a chapter about spirituality and dementia.

any comments on this topic are welcome!