How to limit mum’s travelling

Kaylong

Feb 22, 2020
Hi all,

my mum was diagnosed in the beginning of the year, and has not gone to her much beloved but remote summer cabin (on the other side of the country - not UK) since then. Obviously she hasn’t been able to go during the pandemic either, but she has her heart set on going in June. (Which would probably be allowed in Finland).

She usually travels alone with one of her dogs and it’s a 12 hour drive. We are worrying about it though as she is forgetting and losing quite a lot in her home environment (like rings, an outbuilding she’s forgotten about or other things that are lost but later remembered). What would happen if she suddenly forgot where she was or where she is going? She is in complete denial about her illness though and doesn’t talk to me about it ever. I get information from my stepdad who can’t go with her as he needs to look after another of their dogs who is so old and frail that he wouldn’t survive the trip. My brother and I both live abroad, and we’re not allowed to travel at the moment so there is nobody else able to go with her.

I need a bit of advise please. How are/have
you dealt with similar situations? Mum and I currently have a very good relationship and I am one of the few people able to calm her down. I am afraid that a breakdown in our relationship would jeopardise that.

All input is appreciated.

Kay x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Kaylong
a worry for you

could your mum's heart strings be tugged using the health of the dog ... eg your husband needs you to be with him to look after the dog, wouldn't it be sad to leave them both and have the dog die, why not leave the cabin until later in the year so you can both be with the dog who would miss you (and hope the dog is with you for a long time)

or find her a taxi/contract driver so she isn't driving hetself .... maybe say you are worried about a woman on her own travelling that far and it would settle your mind if she would have a driver, though even better to wait until her husband can go too

make up some semi disaster at the cabin ... does anyone keep an eye on it ... maybe they could report a boiler problem, water/electricity cut off (or whatever would make the cabin unuseable) and it's just not being sorted out as a part needed can't be found