How to help my Mum through the death of my Dad?

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Charlie39, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Charlie39

Charlie39 Registered User

Dec 10, 2012
    Dorset
    So, on Wednesday my lovely Dad passed away. He was a cancer patient. My Mum is either totally fine or totally beside herself. She keeps thinking she didn't say goodbye, didn't know he was ill, hasn't been allowed to see him etc. My sister and I are struggling as to what to do to make it easier. We don't want to dwell on what has happened with her and keep telling her, but it is clear she is struggling. Does anyone have any advice please?

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
  3. Onlyme

Onlyme Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    UK
    Is she at the point that she has forgotten he has died? If so then don't remind her as she will see it as new information and be heart broken each time.

4. Charlie39

Charlie39 Registered User

Dec 10, 2012
    Dorset
    She seems to keep re-remembering. It is so awful. Tonight she thought she had to tell me and that I didn't know. Earlier she didn't mention I it at all. X

5. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Im sorry, it must be hard as you are dealing with your own grief. I suspect that she is desperately trying to hang on to the memory and cant remember the details. After a while she will probably forget completely.