How to find a good care home with bed vacancies?

Grable

May 19, 2015
Well, we've finally bitten the bullet and decided that we need a care home for Mum - in the vicinity of Mickleover, in Derby, in case there's anybody with inside knowledge out there! She's got vascular dementia and her oesophageal cancer also means she needs a special soft food/liquid diet. Her GP has said that she doesn't yet need a nursing home, but just a care home. But how do you find which ones have vacancies? And is there, anywhere, a definitive regional list of what is available? I thought I'd been through them all and then the doctor suggested one I had never even heard of - no beds there, though.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont live in Derby, so I cant help with specific homes, but I wanted to say that most good care homes have waiting lists.
The best thing to do is to go round and look at the care homes and talk to the staff. Also talk to the manager about the sort of residents that they take - sometimes they only take people with very early dementia and cant cope with what would be considered normal dementia problems, like wandering at night or refusing personal care. When you have found somewhere you like put her name down on the waiting list. When she reaches the top of the list they will contact you and if you still feel that she does not yet need a CH you can say so and her name will just remain on the list.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello & Good Luck...............

Well, we've finally bitten the bullet and decided that we need a care home for Mum - in the vicinity of Mickleover, in Derby, in case there's anybody with inside knowledge out there! She's got vascular dementia and her oesophageal cancer also means she needs a special soft food/liquid diet. Her GP has said that she doesn't yet need a nursing home, but just a care home. But how do you find which ones have vacancies? And is there, anywhere, a definitive regional list of what is available? I thought I'd been through them all and then the doctor suggested one I had never even heard of - no beds there, though.

Grable in finding a *suitable* C H for your Mum that is able & or willing too cope with the Cancer ( a good proper** Caring Home should be able too *embrace* her Special Diet , especially if the Manager & Head Chef have a good working relationship:) ) Am aware of special diets etc as I have over the years worked as a Catering Asst in either a C H or N H & currently working in a N H

As for lists your local S Services should have one plus why not ask other Carer's in your area ? if you have a Carer's Advice Centre or Carer's Cafe etc , etc ( oh ! not quite the same but you might find this very helpful :) Age Uk do a free C H Check list available from their Web Page ( sorry :( in a rush other wise would have put the Age UK Link address on ( it is on TP some where ! another Thread like yours ! )

Hope that helps :) & some times the *NEED* of the person goes in favour rather than being near the bottom of the Waiting list or the middle !

Best Wishes in Searching ( not easy at times)

Grove x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I put "mickleover cqc care homes" in google and it comes up with the Care Quailty Commission reports for all the local homes in that area, at least it gives you some idea of the ones to avoid, some have more than one inadequate which has to be a warning sign, as said though this is no substitute for local knowledge just a guide.
K

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I'd be inclined to go and see the one the GP suggested anyway. Personal recommendation is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. At the very least, the visit will give you a base line against which to compare others.

If you like it, put your mum's name down on the list. You are under no obligation to take the place if offered. They have no way of knowing if a vacancy will be available next week or next month, but at least if you're on a list there, or indeed somewhere else as well, you have a better chance of getting a place than just phoning up on spec.

I phoned my preferred home for Mum on Boxing Day and she was in there five weeks later. MIL was lucky to get into hers within the week.

The CQC reports are a good place to start but there is no substitute for personal inspections, I'm afraid, and visiting those on your shortlist is the only way to evaluate them properly. Your gut instinct about whether your mum would be happy there is very important.

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
Google care homes in Mickleover. QCQ reports. Visit, looking at rooms, talk to the staff, get brochures, if you are self funding consider respite first or day visits
We did contact social services in North Derbyshire but the social worker was only interested in keeping parents at home, which was no longer the preferred option for my 90yr old father and mother with vascular dementia.
We have found a good home, but this was recommended to us.

Grable

May 19, 2015
Thanks for the replies, everybody. The problem is that things have taken a turn for the worse and we really need to find something sooner rather than later! I was hoping there might be a website where vacancies were updated. It seems this exists in Norfolk and South Derbyshire - but not in the area we need!

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
Just gone on derby City council and found a page by going through the residential and extra care heading, followed by residential care for adults and at the bottom of that page there is something for you to fill in with your post code, but there is a box on there to show empty beds. Have you given this a go?

Grable

May 19, 2015
See? I knew I was missing something and that somebody here would be able to help! Thank you!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513