How to find a decent carer agrncy or independent

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
hi all so i managed to get a carer agency (self funding )£ 22 per hour to come to my dads for 2 hours morning one morning a werk as he didnt want carers big thing for him and me hes 71 lives alone me doing literally everything companion medication order collecting laundry drs cooking shopping i live separate but travel to my dads and have him everyday im very tired so i needed help got a agency in agaist my dads wishes agency turned up with carer and manager rushed in carer was rude saying and showing me dirty cups i do clean my dads 2/3 hours a week but flat in chaos due to my dad pulling stuff out but its fairly clean the carer a large male wasnt teally listening to me and talking non stop about himself the manager rushed out and carer kept showing me dirty stuff hes ok but im not sure my dads going like him he said he doesnt want him
in London area its hard to get carers as ive emailed loads of agencys and none have got back to me the agency seems unprofessional but i got them from Alzheimer’sline not sure what else i can do i just want a morning to myself once a week knowing dad is safe any recommendations as to finding a suitable carer will give it another week to see how it hoes with him nut dont seem to understand dementia or be professional

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
We can't provide any recommendations on the forum but I think you are doing the right thing by giving it a little while to see how it goes. If at the end of the week the current carer is not suitable ask the agency to change him for someone else.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree with Louise, give it some time. You can't judge it from a brief meeting or two, your dad needs time to settle into the routine and the carers may work out fine. You agree that your father's flat is in a mess so it isn't surprising they mentioned it, maybe they can help with this.

If you need to find another agency at some point, don't try to do it by email. Ring them and speak to someone, it will give you a chance to explain your father's needs and have some interaction with them before you even meet. I had no problem finding a (very good) care agency for my mother in London, they looked after her for 18 months.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Yes ill give be it another week but just think its rude to keep showing me a tea stained cup
Or the bottom of the bin id never dream of doing it as a cleaner by trade very bad and made me uncomfortable my dads is untidy but certainly not dirty ive been and cleaned much much worse !!he also said he should go to the shop with my dad when he gets a paper i said no thats hes only independence and yet he keep saying no hes not safe etc ! I only have them coming to clean and seitch hot water on so its not needed or unwanted criticism he Neither seemed to be interested in my dad or hes history .dads moaning now saying he doesnt need them and ill have all the hassle again of finding another

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Yes ill give be it another week but just think its rude to keep showing me a tea stained cup
Or the bottom of the bin id never dream of doing it as a cleaner by trade very bad and made me uncomfortable my dads is untidy but certainly not dirty ive been and cleaned much much worse !!he also said he should go to the shop with my dad when he gets a paper i said no thats hes only independence and yet he keep saying no hes not safe etc ! I only have them coming to clean and seitch hot water on so its not needed or unwanted criticism he Neither seemed to be interested in my dad or hes history .dads moaning now saying he doesnt need them and ill have all the hassle again of finding another

What exactly is in the care plan? My MIL had a written care plan so carers knew exactly what was required

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
The manager came out prior to sending the carer
To do some cleaning and switch the hot water on prompt bath .
Thats all
Instead had a rushed through stress filled morning being told your dad needs me to come with him this n that is dirty which i dint appreciate as i do the cleaning and saying i can do this and that which is not in the care plan now left me stressed

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I agree with Louise, give it some time. You can't judge it from a brief meeting or two, your dad needs time to settle into the routine and the carers may work out fine. You agree that your father's flat is in a mess so it isn't surprising they mentioned it, maybe they can help with this.

If you need to find another agency at some point, don't try to do it by email. Ring them and speak to someone, it will give you a chance to explain your father's needs and have some interaction with them before you even meet. I had no problem finding a (very good) care agency for my mother in London, they looked after her for 18 months.
I clean my dads flat the reason i wantrd more help with cleaning is because i do everything and have no help on top of it all damaged my arm and i dont need him to show me how to clean im a cleaner myself by trade and would never ever ever go into a person house and criticize the mess terrible

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You will have to work with the carers, whether this agency or another. Focus on what they can do for your father, that is what they are there for. If you want to change the agency you shouldn't have a problem finding another one.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Yes and i did my dad made him tea and feel welcome but it works both ways especially when we are paying 22£ a hour and hes vunrable and nrver had a carer or wanted one before it’s unprofessional to criticize a persons home and try to suggest or change the care plan