How to explain mum's beliefs are incorrect

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
Hi, I know the basic thoughts are to go along with someone who believes something untrue is true or to distract them from it.
However, this is something I have to explain to my mum. She has one dog but thinks has 7, not all the time but alot of the time. She phones me ( I don't live near) very distressed about what's happened to them and mum's support group have told me she accuses the lady who walks her dog of killing them ( I'm very anxious that she is going to have enough and pack it in).
So I have to explain she hasn't got 7 or tell her they went somewhere nice to live but she either gets angry with me or "believes" me ( but obviously doesn't think it's true) and gets very distressed and sometimes embarrassed and ashamed.
Any ideas on how to approach this differently?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your mum is delusional @ScaredyCat and may benefit from medical help. If you have a power of attorney I would consult her doctors and ask their advice.

She is obviously very distressed and anxious and even though medication can be frowned on, in her best interests, in my opinion, anything which can make life more comfortable for her is justified.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree. If going along with her delusions and giving "explanations" would reassure her, then that is the way to go, but if it doesnt work and she is still anxious and distressed then she needs more. Contact her GP - if you dont have POA then the GP may not talk to you about your mum, but they can still listen.

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
Yes. I realise they are delusions. I've been through it very badly before when she had to go into a care home after covid and a urine infection. This is the only thing she's delusionanal about at the mo and she won't go to gpb( I have both LPAs). She's already on alzheimers meds and they won't increase. Is there something else they would consider then?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa