How to deal with bereavement? I shall find out.

Mariko

Mar 1, 2015
My beloved husband died on Fathers Day, the 21st June, the day after his 95th birthday. He had been diagnosed with the early symptoms of dementia just after his 90th birthday and I looked after him at home until he became physically so weak that I could no longer cope. He had been in a nursing home for the last 18 months, wonderfully cared for by the most amazing staff, and he died peacefully with people who really cared for him. Until the last few months he had been able to hold a limited conversation, and even make jokes, and a great blessing as far as we were concerned was that he never failed to recognise me - I went in every day - or daughter and grandchildren or friends. I count my blessings that he was diagnosed relativity late in life so we had a lot more time together than many have. We had been married for 55 years.

Insofar as a funeral can be a joyous occasion his was and it was a true celebration of his life with his favourite music and some laughter. So many people came, and I am running out of room to put all the cards and letters on view. I feel I am surrounded by so much love. Fortunately my daughter and I have the same view of death. The person is not in the coffin, what is there is a poor worn-out body which he has left behind to move on to the next life.

Probably because I had had years to prepare for it, and seeing how rapidly he had deteriorated in the final month I can honestly say that the sadness I felt at his death has not been as overwhelming as that which I felt when I had to put him in the nursing home. He was then aware of what was happening and being asked "When am I coming home?" was heartbreaking. I felt I had betrayed him by not continuing to look after him at home, impossible though that would have been and in the end the move was the right one for him.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your loss. You clearly loved your husband very much. I'm glad you had a long and happy life together. Sending my condolences.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Such a long time to be together, and what a massive hole he must have left behind. If it makes things any better remember your husband may not have talking about the home he'd been moved from, but about 'home' from long ago. It sounds as if you both had a good experience with his care home, which is great x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
He was then aware of what was happening and being asked "When am I coming home?" was heartbreaking. I felt I had betrayed him by not continuing to look after him at home, impossible though that would have been and in the end the move was the right one for him.

I could echo those words. "When am I coming home?" are indeed heartbreaking ones and I feel for you and everyone who has to hear them, knowing you cannot grant that wish and answer truthfully.

You beat us in the marriage stakes as we had been married for 2 months off 53 years when he died a year ago. He was 75, ten months older than I was but of course I am now older than he will ever be. It is indeed a long time to be together.

Of course, taking up a normal daily routine with no visits needs adjusting to as well. Suddenly, there is something called time! I hope you find fulfilling ways of spending your days. You seem to have a very positive attitude towards life and I'm sure that will help you in the days and weeks to come. For the days that are not so good, TP is always here. x

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Mariko. I'm very sorry that you have recently lost your beloved Husband. You sound as though your beliefs will help you at this difficult time- I do hope so. Celebrate your 55 years together-no mean achievement.

Take good care of yourself

Lyn T XX