How to choose a Care home?

Kay 14

Jun 23, 2022
My Husband has now had a financial assessment and have received details of how much he will have to pay. I also have a link Social worker. Social services have installed modem connected to emergency services. I think he should now be in care but I have been told they cannot do anything as he says he is fine and refuses to admit there is anything wrong with him.
I need respite as can't really leave him alone for an hour and want to take a holiday with my cousin later in the year and I thought if I could persuade him to go for respite for a couple of weeks he may like it. Any suggestions? Also getting ads on my facebook page for care homes but how do I find out how much they cost?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Kay 14 , This website https://www.carehome.co.uk/ is quite good for finding out what homes there are in your area. You could then make a short list to look at, as every home is different, and what suits one person, might not suit another. When you visit ask about fees, possibilities for respite etc.
Does your husband go to any clubs or day centres as that would give you a break and get him used to the idea of other people looking after him https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you.

Kay 14

Jun 23, 2022
Thanks will have a look at the Care Home site.. He has refused to go to any clubs. When his social Worker suggested it and told him they have activities Tea and coffee etc he said was there Alcohol! She said they do bingo etc but he cannot always tell the time with his watch. At one assessment 2 years ago he was asked to fill in numbers on a clock face and they were all wrong.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Kay 14.

I wondered if you would find this booklet useful as you consider the way ahead -

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland

Comparison of home care costs whilst still possible against the costs in a care home?​

Has anyone created a "decision assistance" comparison spreadsheet tool in say MS excel or MAC numbers to compare the costs of a PWD in their own home and with daily carer support against the cost in a care home. Whilst I have experience of the former, the current status, I am a little uninformed and living out of the country it is difficult to fully understand the costs of a full time care home. What are other potential pitfalls? i.e. Loss of rate rebate, different property insurance if it is empty and not immediately sold.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
@GROCKLE - I don't have experience of home care costs apart from MIL's one 30 minute visit a day organised by the LA - she paid about £50 per week for that. Obviously she had the full costs of running a home including heating it to tropical temperatures.
When she went into full time care we did not pay any Council Tax - exempt because she had gone into care- or water rates - not payable on an empty house. Yes we had to pay for the gas/electric that we used and empty house insurance until it was sold but they were the only bills.
If your PWD is self funding their care home they will still get AA paid to them like they would do at home.
Obviously there will be the care home fees to pay but the house sale should cover that for a number of years.
Hope this helps a bit.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'd just like to add that there are a few "extras" in a care home. Usually these extras are things like hairdressers, chiropodist, optician and any other things on site. If you go for a very upmarket care home that has things like a bistro, spa, bar etc then if she uses them they will need paying for too. Mum didnt get charges for outings, although you may want to check on that. Obviously she will need toiletries, clothes etc just as she would do if she were home. If you order something like a regular newspaper this will be charged for too.

Mum was in a very basic care home. She had her hair cut every 6 weeks, the chiropodist once a month and the optician once a year. There were no other extras on site and she could no longer read by this stage, so the only other things she needed were toiletries and clothes.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
@GROCKLE - I don't have experience of home care costs apart from MIL's one 30 minute visit a day organised by the LA - she paid about £50 per week for that. Obviously she had the full costs of running a home including heating it to tropical temperatures.
When she went into full time care we did not pay any Council Tax - exempt because she had gone into care- or water rates - not payable on an empty house. Yes we had to pay for the gas/electric that we used and empty house insurance until it was sold but they were the only bills.
If your PWD is self funding their care home they will still get AA paid to them like they would do at home.
Obviously there will be the care home fees to pay but the house sale should cover that for a number of years.
Hope this helps a bit.
It does, thank you?

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
I'd just like to add that there are a few "extras" in a care home. Usually these extras are things like hairdressers, chiropodist, optician and any other things on site. If you go for a very upmarket care home that has things like a bistro, spa, bar etc then if she uses them they will need paying for too. Mum didnt get charges for outings, although you may want to check on that. Obviously she will need toiletries, clothes etc just as she would do if she were home. If you order something like a regular newspaper this will be charged for too.

Mum was in a very basic care home. She had her hair cut every 6 weeks, the chiropodist once a month and the optician once a year. There were no other extras on site and she could no longer read by this stage, so the only other things she needed were toiletries and clothes.
It helps, thank you for the info ?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018

Just a heads up.....you shouldn't have to pay for a chiropodist...the NHS one will visit.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Just a heads up.....you shouldn't have to pay for a chiropodist...the NHS one will visit.
Really, I pay now for one, 20 Pounds every 6 weeks visiting at home. I wasn't aware this could be done on the NHS?
OK, this current lady is nice, uncomplicated, I get feedback from her via WhatsApp, and she needs a job too.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
NHS didn't provide any podiatry service in my mother in law's care home . In the area she was, NHS podiatrist was for bedbound or high risk patients such as diabetes . Simple toenail cutting was a paid service.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
NHS didn't provide any podiatry service in my mother in law's care home . In the area she was, NHS podiatrist was for bedbound or high risk patients such as diabetes . Simple toenail cutting was a paid service.
We had a referral from their GP. Both my Mum and Dad had visits at home and then they visited Mum in the CH.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
In my area chiropody is not generally free. My mum pays In her care home.

I was advised a while back off there is an underlying condition such as diabetes which could affect the feet it might be free.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Really, I pay now for one, 20 Pounds every 6 weeks visiting at home. I wasn't aware this could be done on the NHS?
OK, this current lady is nice, uncomplicated, I get feedback from her via WhatsApp, and she needs a job too.
I'd stick with her then.

Kay 14

Jun 23, 2022
Hi @Kay 14 , is quite good for finding out what homes there are in your area. You could then make a short list to look at, as every home is different, and what suits one person, might not suit another. When you visit ask about fees, possibilities for respite etc.
Does your husband go to any clubs or day centres as that would give you a break and get him used to the idea of other people looking after him
Husband is now going to a "club" 2 days per week. He seems to be enjoying it but just 3 weeks in. He tells me everyone is very nice but most of them have lost it. I spent 2 hours there the first time and was quite impressed. Dont get much info from him as to what he had for lunch etc but so far so good. Lovely to have the house to myself he is always following me or fiddling with things.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland

Moving my 84 yr old sister to a care home - now or wait and risk not finding one​

She doesn't really want to go to a care home, but stay in her own house. But we are now seeing that her 3x a day meal/companionship carers 45 min/30 min/30 min is no longer enough to sustain her life comfortably. Her dementia is hindering her in almost all walks of life now. Close friends in contact with her are advising that it is now time for a care home. She has deteriorated since I last saw her in June.
I now have an offer of two places for a care home I visited back in June and liked the look of it. It's very close, and she has visited friends there in the past. She will need to be assessed, of course.
Now I need to make a decision soon and also would like to know which questions I should ask the care home.
I will of course probably lose my online log, which I use to ascertain her life from abroad.
Things which immediately spring to mind are:
  1. Costs - probably comes from the assessment.
  2. Hairdresser, hair washing? Internal or external visit to the usual hairdresser with a friend
  3. Internal/existing external: chiropodist / podiatrist
  4. Rules concerning: Visitors and relatives taking her out for lunch
  5. Phone usage - can her BT phone and number be simply unplugged and used in the care home on her account. She doesn't call out, we call her. But the BT number is do not disturb and VIP callers only.
  6. Her own TV? Licence questions
  7. Maybe a trial period, 3 weeks - any experience with someone going into a care home who originally didn't want to and changed their mind after 3 weeks?
  8. Online log - like I have with the care company?
  9. Anything else I have missed and you think is important
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas