How to break a sad loop

Kezza44

Aug 28, 2013
I am new here, and reading through it looks very helpful. My mum thinks she is dying and its such a shame as she started on the medication and things were improving, her motivation came back instead of just sitting with no confidence. This last week she opened the registered LPA and is stuck in a very tearful loop, convinced i am keeping something from her and she is dying. I have spent so much time with her explaining over and over that she is better than ever and how I am being honest with her and I'm trying so hard to stay as positive as I possibly can to try and lift her spirits. Nothing I do or say is working and she is spiralling down more and more. I have tried distractions, music, flowers, writing on her white board. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Kezza44 and welcome. I'm sure others will be along with good advice soon. It sounds to me that your mum might be suffering from depression. It must be so frightening for her, it can't be easy. My mum is very anxious (even before dementia). She can get depressed. I told my mum the LPA is another way in which I can help her with things if a time came when she felt she couldn't deal with things herself. She doesn't open her own post now and just leaves everything for me so this made it easier. I don't think she gave it another thought after we did the forms. She trusts me entirely (which to be honest is quite a huge pressure on me!).

Do you think she would benefit from a chat with her GP so she can ask him honest questions, then she would know you're not keeping things from her? Perhaps she would benefit from an antidepressant (my mum is on Citalopram which seems to suit her).

I hope you find a way through it X

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
My mum was in a similar situation.

Mum really RESPECTS her GP, so choose someone who mum respects would be my advice.

Mums GP said he was giving her some magic tablets to help her "minor" memory loss.