How to best cope with dad's paranoia?

sharethelove

Jul 27, 2013
Hi there ... this is all pretty new (and extremely challenging) for me right now. Dad has Alzheimers and Dementia. Do you have any coping strategies for helping to deal with my dad's paranoia? And how can I best help my dad when he gets highly anxious and appears to be having some sort of panic attack? It's very difficult to witness as I know that he is struggling inside. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Share the love and welcome to TP. I'm sure you will find lots of help and support on here. Have you mentioned your father's paranoia to his GP? There is medication that can help with this if the Dr thinks it necessary.
I'm sure others will be along who can help you more but, in the meantime, perhaps you would like to look at some of the fact sheets the Alzheimer's Society have. for example, they have one which describes the different causes of Dementia, only one of which is Alzheimer's.
Just click on the link which you will find on far the right hand side of the line which begins with 'Most Recent Posts' and it will take you to the site. Best wishes.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hello sharethelove,
Is your Dad aggressive when he feels the fear?
If so then the primary thing you should have in your head is to keep yourself safe.

If he is fearful and panicking then all you can do is to be near and reassure, sometimes being silent but present can be all that is needed, also to not try to worry if things go on for some time, just to constantly, quietly be there, until the feeling goes away.

It is scary to watch and no doubt scary to feel.
I don't know this is true but experience has taught me in my world, that the best thing to do in the face of another person's illogical fear is to be there, to be quite and calm and be patient, it can take a long time until the feeling subsides.

Very best wishes to a frightened you and Dad. X

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Does this happen at any particular time of day? or after an event like getting back to the house from an outing? i just ask because mum was always worse in the evenings (sundowning) or when we got home from being somewhere. I found it helped a bit to know what was likely to happen and when.
It helped mum to have complete peace and quiet, no tv or radio or conversation other than what she was asking or fretting about. I initially thought it would help distract her but it made her worse. I was thrown out of the house a few times and occasionally just stayed outside or went home because I was too distraught to go back and occasionally went back and she would tell me that a horrible woman had been in the house (me).
It also helped a huge amount to know that mum's bad times passed off after an hour or two, or even three.
However if your dad is like that all the time i don't have any helpful thoughts other than keep trying to get the memory clinic or his psychiatrist to do something to help.