How to add quoted text

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Here is a short tutorial on how to add quoted text to a message.

1. The first step is to 'capture' the text that you want to quote. One way to do this is to use your mouse to highlight the text (hold down left mouse button, drag to highlight the text, release mouse button) and then hold down the CONTROL key (labelled Ctrl, lower left on the keyboard) and the C key at the same time. This will copy the text. Another way to do this is to highlight the text and then, using the Menu bar at the top left of your Internet browser, chose Edit > Copy (example image copy in this post).

2. Create your new message by hitting the Reply button.

3. Type your own content into the new message, up until the point where you want to use the quote.

4. Paste the text that you had copied (it has been stored in a imaginary Windows clipboard) by hitting the Control and V keys at the same time, or by accessing Edit > Paste from the browser menu.

5. Use your mouse to highlight the text again. Click on the quote symbol in the message menu (last symbol on the right , see image step5). The text should then have quote tags (in [ ] square brackets) around it (see image step5_result) and the process is complete.

If you want to quote several bits of text from the same thread, you can scroll down on the page and see the previous 15 replies. If the thread is a long one, there will be a little message at the bottom of the screen giving you the option to see the entire thread. Warning: This display of the entire thread will open in a new window, but the copy and paste techniques will be the same as outlined above.

:D TIP: Each post has a QUOTE button in the lower right hand corner. Hitting that button will automatically generate a reply to the thread with all the text quoted. It can sometime be easier to cut out the text you don't want to quote (Control key and X key together or Edit > Cut from the menu). You can then leave it as one block of quoted text, or break it up into sections, with your own comments in between. Just make sure that each block of quoted text has its own starting and ending [ ] quote tags.

:D TIP: The steps above can also be used for formatting text in other ways - colours, size, font, bold, italic , underline. Just highlight the text to be formatted and then use the meun options at the top of the message window.

:D TIP: If you're not sure how your formatting has come out, you can always Preview your post to check the results or edit it after posting it.

Attachments

• copy.gif
    copy.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 599
  • step5.gif
    step5.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 664
  • step5_result.gif
    step5_result.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
1. The first step is to 'capture' the text that you want to quote. One way to do this is to use your mouse to highlight the text (hold down left mouse button, drag to highlight the text, release mouse button) and then hold down the CONTROL key (labelled Ctrl, lower left on the keyboard) and the C key at the same time. This will copy the text. Another way to do this is to highlight the text and then, using the Menu bar at the top left of your Internet browser, chose Edit > Copy (example image copy in this post). (I have copied and pasted this through 'Edit')

Dear Sandy. Well, I have managed to copy and paste the above here, but I can't understand step 5 because I can't find a screen like yours, with smilies on the right and font, colours etc in the tool bar. I seem to have the latter in Word, but not on the page I am now writing.

Feel free to throw our hands up in the air in despair -I told you I was uselss with this, and I don't wish to take your attention away from your daughter. But if you can find another spare moment ......there's no rush.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lulu,

I think that the problem is the individual settings on your account for message editing.

To change it from Basic Editor to Standard Editor you need to:

1. Click on the User CP option of the Talking Point menu (far left)

2. You will then be taken to the User Control Panel where you can edit all your individual settings. Select Edit Options from the list:

3. You will then be given all the options that relate to messages. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen (under Miscellaneous Options) where you can select the Standard Editor

This should give you all the capabilities to make your messages technicolour masterpieces.

:D TIP: If you're not sure what an icon/menu item will do, try letting your mouse hover over it for a few seconds and a tool tip box may appear and describe the feature.

:D TIP: There is a section of the web site that describes how the software works. It can be reached under the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) menu option or more directly here: vBulletin FAQ . This section has been written by the software creators (vBulletin) so the text may sound a bit 'generic'.

Hope this helps,

Sandy

Attachments

• usercp.gif
    usercp.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 603
  • edit_options.gif
    edit_options.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 614
  • message_editor.gif
    message_editor.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Dinner has been ruined, Mum feels abandoned, as I try to master this technique. For the umpteenth time, here goes;

Create your new message by hitting the Reply button.

3. Type your own content into the new message, up until the point where you want to use the quote.

4. Paste the text that you had copied (it has been stored in a imaginary Windows clipboard) by hitting the Control and V keys at the same time, or by accessing Edit > Paste from the browser menu.

5. Use your mouse to highlight the text again. Click on the quote symbol in the message menu (last symbol on the right , see image step5). The text should then have quote tags (in [ ] square brackets) around it (see image step5_result) and the process is complete.
[/QUOTE
]

think i have done it! but how?![/FONT]

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
I am exhausted.

I went to the control panel in an attempT to find out why I was invisible and found out by chance why I wasn;t receiving the same screen as you as it wasn't switched on (can't remember what it was called). Once that was enabled, then I had the tools to do it.

Spent ages fiddling with it. Am I there? THANKS SANDY & BRUCE

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
By George, she's done it - well done Lulu, hope you managed to salvage the dinner! ;)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lulu,

Well Done!

As for dinner and your mother - sometimes it's good to be a little selfish and determined to be able to prove to yourself that you can master something.

:D TIP: If you want to see how someone has managed a certain effect in their post, just hit the Quote button and you will be able to see their entire post, tags and all (ironic isn't it - given where we started). You can then hit the brower's back button and not used the quoted text.

Take care,

Sandy