How Sundowning affects me

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
In another thread I had a question raised to me about Sundowning from Sad Nell/Pam and thought it best to post my reply as a new thread on the subject so that it doesn’t get lost as I think it’s a problem that can affect all people with dementia and have a repercussion on our loved ones, the question was and I quote:

(Barry could you explain how you feel whilst sundowning, does anything trigger it or does it happen just like clock work, hope you do not mind me asking and you have a good with no sundowning)

The easy answer would be just to say yes (It happens like clockwork) but I think the subject is far more complex than that as it seems that Sundowning as it’s called can affect people with our illness at different times of the day although the latter part of the day when the sun is setting seems to be the most significant time.

One thing I should explain is that here in Indonesia and some other parts of Asia Sun rise and Sunset occurs at about the same time everyday of the year, by 6am its broad daylight and by 6pm it’s getting dark unlike European countries when during the summer you have extended hours of sunlight from 4am-9pm which in itself could have some significance as to when a person starts to feel the affects of sundowning?

But how does it make me feel: I think the best way I could describe it is to say that it causes a similar feeling that I can still remember after having had a nervous break down some years ago that at the time resulted in deep depression.

Normally at around 4 - 4-30pm I start to fell very lethargic and just seem to be wandering around the house totally lost in my own world mumbling to myself or sitting in a chair drifting into daydreams (in fact my wife says she can now tell what time of day it is without looking at the clock) I fell as though the day is trying to drain every last bit of energy out of my body, all my limbs become extremely weak and I find it very difficult even to go for our walk but still go in a effort to ward off the sundowning effect, I can become very short tempered and loose all sense of rationality and sometimes become verbally aggressive and argumentative you feel as though the whole world is against you and that whatever you say or do is wrong so I don’t like to be posed any questions at this time of day not even (what do you want for dinner) and I certainly don’t like to have any visitors at this time not unless they want there heads bitten off as my mind is at a total lose of comprehension, all I want is to have my dear wife by my side but she now realizes its best to talk to me very gently and I’m sure that she now just agrees to everything I say in an effort to keep me calm and makes sure the house is kept peaceful without any excessive noise to further confuse my mind (Bless her as she has so much patients) as I start to feel as though I have the whole weight of the worlds problems upon my shoulders and everything becomes a effort so much so that my wife now has to help me bathe and get dressed as I’m so agitated and shaky.

So there is nothing that actually triggers the sundowning as it just seems to automatically start by itself but if it’s not handled with sensitivity then there could be untoward repercussions, also I should add that not everyday is the same as some can be worse than others and sometimes I can go for a few days without feeling any effects of sundowning and the other strange thing is that even the weather conditions at the end of day can have some influence if its overcast I feel much better and responsive but if it’s a strong bright sunset then the draining affect starts much quicker in fact I get much the same affect when I go into a shop that has to brighter lighting.

I will be very interested to know what others people’s observations are with sundowning as it’s another part of the illness that doesn’t affect us all in the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Barry

That is so helpful to me:) Thank you. I know that Alan is affected by wind. He is even affected when he sees the wind causing the trees to sway and is not outside in it.

Love and hoping that your day is a good one:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
the other strange thing is that even the weather conditions at the end of day can have some influence if its overcast I feel much better and responsive but if it’s a strong bright sunset then the draining affect starts much quicker in fact I get much the same affect when I go into a shop that has to brighter lighting.

That's an interesting observation, Barry.

In fact it's the exact opposite of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), where shortage of light triggers attacks of depresssion, and one of the treatments is to sit in front of a light box.

Maybe there should be some research into this?