How silly is this?

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

I received a letter to-day, forwarded from Mum's former nursing home.

On the envelope was stamped L----- Sherriff Court.

This letter was addressed to Mum at ---------- Nursing home.

It was headed -- Notice of Selection For Potential Jury Service !!:eek:

Mum is 83 years old and anyone over 65 cannot serve as a Juror, never mind that she cannot utter, yes or no.:rolleyes:

It makes one wonder about the employees in these places. Surely Nursing Home, should have rung bells and made them question mailing the letter at all.

We had a good laugh imagining Mum on a Jury. She would be so disruptive that they would have to dismiss or postpone the case:D

Love
Alfjess

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
But, Alfjess, probley had more sense in her little finger than most of the solicitor's and Barrister's:)
Barb X

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well done, Alfjess for seeing the silliness of it .....

I know just recently I've had allsorts of 'junk mail' arriving for mum which is so totally inappropriate ...... sometimes it's distressing ... other times... I laugh at the money people are wasting ... not funny when it's the state though ...... :(

Well done for your attitude on it, love Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I think the only way these people will learn is not possible - but it would be nice to do, though not nice for Mum.

I'd take Mum to the court on the day as a juror - alerting the local press - and see if the message got through.

My view is that there is no fault with the nursing home - it is not their job to filter mail for residents, ex or otherwise. They probably have a responsibility in their procedures to forward any mail at all.

The fault is in a system that sends out spurious mail like this.

It is bad enough when it is a mailshot from a commercial organisation, but from a public body......

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Laugh and the world laughs with you .....

The mind boggles....when dad passed away I had to apply for his State Super to be put into mum's name as I was her POA I had to forward original or certified copies of the POA, dad's death certificate and his and mum's marriage and birth certificates along with mum's passport Land Title and rates notice.

I was assured that these documents would be returned shortly to me by registered post....they were returned by registered post to mum at the C/H. Thankfully, the welfare officer handles all residents mail she doesn't open mail but if concerned contacts the next of kin.

Mum would have binned the documents for sure. They even had a Statutory Declaration signed by a Justice of the Peace to state mum had dementia was living in a dementia hostel hence the reason she wasn't living with dad.....and they sent these documents back to her. Fortunately, the C/H had a great system in place regards to the mail.

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
To flip this on it's head.........

Alfjess

Crazy as it might sound, maybe it's a good sign? With the "Big Brother Nanny" state that the country seems to be heading in, perhaps it's better that 'they' don't know everything about us!

But then again, with one Local authority stating that my Mum's needs are residential EMI and the same Local authority now stating that the RNCC Nursing contribution will be backdated..............well, I don't know nothing any more.

Have a good Sunday all.

Ellie

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
But, Alfjess, probley had more sense in her little finger than most of the solicitor's and Barrister's:)
Barb X

Yes Barb

In days gone by, Mum was very sensible and down to earth

I have sent aletter in reply. Very tongue in cheek, sarcastic? letter. not that it will do any good.

I phoned Mum's former care home, who had forwarded the letter, stamped "Sheriff Court" just to appease their curiousity and to assure them that Mum had not committed any crime (I wish she was capable)

Bruce
I wish I had the courage to take Mum to be on the jury. Hopefully, they wouldn't make that mistake again.

Beggars belief, doesn't it?

Alfjess