How quickly do medicines work

Pinkfizz

Jan 3, 2017
My mum was formerly diagnosed in December and prescribed some medication which she has been on 8 days now. How do these drugs work and how quickly might we see some benefit any what sort of improvement might we see?
Tia

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It depends on what the medication is as to what happens. The normal thing for AZ is Donepezil (Aricept) in which case you won't see an improvement just a slowing in the rate of decline.
Other things like anti depressants can work quite quickly and can make a positive change for the better.
Not all people react to a medication in the same way, things that work well for some people are a disaster for other people.
All you can do is monitor it and be aware of the possible side effects.
Sorry I can't be more helpful but it's a bit of a lottery.
K

Pinkfizz

Jan 3, 2017
Thank you for your reply. Yes it is Donepezil and she has been on antidepressants since August when she was telling gps she didn't feel right and had history of depression including bad postnatal depression after my brother was born.

We will see......

rogerdoger

My mum was formerly diagnosed in December and prescribed some medication which she has been on 8 days now. How do these drugs work and how quickly might we see some benefit any what sort of improvement might we see?
Tia

For me, the medication took a month to six weeks before I realized all the benefits for the medication. A healthy diet, exercise, challenging her mind will help her as well...

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75