How others cope with late stage Alzheimer's PWD who's broken his collar bone

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
We've just arrived home from Minor Injuries with husband wearing a paper sling. X-Ray has confirmed a broken collar bone; no treatment apart from a flimsy sling, which he's desperately trying to remove, and a follow up appointment in five days time. He's already on the waiting list for full time care and I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with the extra pressure.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I know many people who've broken their collar bone (very common cycling injury - near enough every professional cyclist has broken theirs at least once) and the 'normal' treatment is just a sling round the wrist (ie not the full arm sling) - my understanding is it should heal and provide full function and not using the sling is likely to just lead to a bony lump where the break was.

Sometimes the break is pinned and plated which for 'normal' people is only done in the case of a severe break but in professional cyclists this tends to be done as routine due to the strain put on the injury when they recover and it also enables them to return to cycling (their job) quicker.

I'm aware dementia gives another aspect but I hope these details give you a bit of peace of mind that if trying to get the sling used is causing a lot of stress it might be only go for certain times of day when he is calmer to get him to use it. A few hours use of the sling is better than no use.

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
Thank you @jugglingmum for putting my mind at rest. He's refused to wear a sling since returning home from A&E early this morning. I was panicking because of a combination of lack of sleep and stress but much calmer now, especially after reading your reply. If a "bony lump" is the worst outcome, I can live with that ?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife had a sling for an arm injury but getting her to keep it on was difficult. She wanted to wear tops that required full mobility in her arm. The buttoned tops that I persuaded her to wear she kept undoing. After her sling was slung - no longer needed - she still wore her coat over her shoulder as she said that her arm would no longer go through the sleeve! You have my sympathies having yet one more thing to attend to.

Last edited:

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
My wife had a sling for an arm injury but getting her to keep it on was difficult. She wanted to wear tops that required full mobility in her arm. The buttoned tops that I persuaded her to wear she kept undoing. After her sling was slung - no longer needed - she still wore her coat over her shoulder as she said that her arm would no longer go through the sleeve! You have my sympathies having yet one more thing to attend to.
Thank you @northumbrian_k By bedtime I realised I was losing the battle. I'll try again today with the more substantial one I've ordered online, but if he starts getting aggressive again I'll have to concede defeat.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
MIL broke her wrist earlier this year. She removed the temporary cast over the weekend everyday, she went back to the hospital for her permanent one on the Monday. By Tuesday morning she had that one off so they took her back to the hospital - she had that one off by Wednesday morning. At that point ,in conjunction with the care home, my husband said don't take her back to the hospital as the whole thing was distressing her - she hates going out of the building and 'she didn't need a cast as there was nothing wrong with her arm' - her words.
She has a couple of days when she said that it hurt but was using it freely to pick up cups of tea and now she has a small bump on her wrist but is otherwise none the wiser that anything happened.
Sometimes you just have to just do your best with an uncooperative PWD.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH broke his collar bone after a fall and it was pinned back using bone taken from his hip. He was compliant with wearing the sling, but unfortunately fell again and rebroke it in the same place. This time it was not repaired - you can see the end of the bone where it is broken, under the skin (its not sticking through the skin, you can just see the outline under the skin). It does not seem to cause any problems in his day to day living, although there is not much that he can actually do now.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Libbybookworm
I agree, don't push him if he isn't going to wear the sling

a daft idea, sorry, but would he be more accepting if you wore one at times too and said how much better you feel because of it, just to signal to him that it's useful ?

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
My OH broke his collar bone after a fall and it was pinned back using bone taken from his hip. He was compliant with wearing the sling, but unfortunately fell again and rebroke it in the same place. This time it was not repaired - you can see the end of the bone where it is broken, under the skin (its not sticking through the skin, you can just see the outline under the skin). It does not seem to cause any problems in his day to day living, although there is not much that he can actually do now.
I think that's what we'll end up with @canary; the x-ray showed the ragged end of the bone adjacent to the bruised lump on his shoulder.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN