How much longer?.......

BrianSausage

Nov 2, 2018
My mum has been on a syringe driver (medazolam) for 72 hours.
No food (as far as I am aware) for 6 days.
She is taking sips of fluid. Asleep 98%
of the time.

I called the NH this morning and I was told she was settled, but over the last 24 hours she has had a cough (not choking), but that she’s ok now.

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that having the syringe driver fitted MAY speed up the process. I have read so many posts and things online that many people have passed within hours after having a driver.

My mother is now on day 4!! I shouldn’t be surprised really as she has fought all her life!!

Does anyone have any experience of drivers with midazolam?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @BrianSausage
I remember this limboland very well. My mum was on a syringe driver at the end. It does not speed up the end, it just makes them painfree so that their passing is more peaceful. Usually, by the time they need a syringe driver you are looking at mere days, but some people fight it all the way.
My mum went 17 days with no food or fluid and I too was saying "How much longer?"
You will know when the final hours are coming as her breathing will change - there are long gaps between breaths and you wonder whether they have gone, only for them to take another breath. Having said that mum was like that for 3 days, although it is usually less that 24 hours. Mums limbs went cold and her eyes became milky too - both within the last 24 hours.

The end will indeed come ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @BrianSausage
the waiting is tough, not knowing what to think or hope
I echo canary's words - I doubt it will be much longer - I found that the staff and medics pretty much knew so if you wish to, ask tham to be blunt with you
my thoughts are with you; may your mum soon reach peace