How much longer?.......

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by BrianSausage, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BrianSausage

BrianSausage Registered User

Nov 2, 2018
    My mum has been on a syringe driver (medazolam) for 72 hours.
    No food (as far as I am aware) for 6 days.
    She is taking sips of fluid. Asleep 98%
    of the time.

I called the NH this morning and I was told she was settled, but over the last 24 hours she has had a cough (not choking), but that she’s ok now.

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that having the syringe driver fitted MAY speed up the process. I have read so many posts and things online that many people have passed within hours after having a driver.

My mother is now on day 4!! I shouldn’t be surprised really as she has fought all her life!!

Does anyone have any experience of drivers with midazolam?

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Im so sorry @BrianSausage
    I remember this limboland very well. My mum was on a syringe driver at the end. It does not speed up the end, it just makes them painfree so that their passing is more peaceful. Usually, by the time they need a syringe driver you are looking at mere days, but some people fight it all the way.
    My mum went 17 days with no food or fluid and I too was saying "How much longer?"
    You will know when the final hours are coming as her breathing will change - there are long gaps between breaths and you wonder whether they have gone, only for them to take another breath. Having said that mum was like that for 3 days, although it is usually less that 24 hours. Mums limbs went cold and her eyes became milky too - both within the last 24 hours.

The end will indeed come ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi @BrianSausage
    the waiting is tough, not knowing what to think or hope
    I echo canary's words - I doubt it will be much longer - I found that the staff and medics pretty much knew so if you wish to, ask tham to be blunt with you
    my thoughts are with you; may your mum soon reach peace

4. Baby Bunty

Baby Bunty Registered User

Jan 24, 2018
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.xxxx

5. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Thinking of you @BrianSausage. Watching & waiting is so hard to do.

6. Jale

Jale Registered User

Jul 9, 2018
    Female
    My thoughts are with you