How much does it cost for a medical alert system?

Amens1955

Feb 19, 2020
Hello everyone,
My grandmother has mild dementia. My parents are working professionals and I'm a graduate student. So, my grandmother would be alone at home during day time. We had arranged a nurse to look after her but she was not comfortable with her. Currently, I'm looking after her as it's my vacation period. But it's for just two weeks. After my vacation, she would be alone at home.

I've heard that medical alert systems in Canada enable seniors with serious medical conditions to live comfortably in their home without depending on others. I thinking about having it for my grandmother so that we would have peace of mind knowing that she would be safe and in case of any emergency she could use the system. I would like to hear from someone who uses one. If so, could you give me a recommendation based on cost and reliability?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Amens1955. Welcome to dementia Talking Point.

I don`t know how much a medical alert system would cost in Canada but in the UK it costs about £15-£20 pounds a month.

An alert system such as this may help your grandmother for a while but the time may come when she may lose understanding of the system, if she needs help or how to get help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has a medical alert that can either be worn round the neck, or on the wrist with a strap. Im sorry to say though that it is still on the desk when the man who installed it left it - OH refuses to wear it.
On the other hand, my MIL had one and wore it too. She used to press the button because she couldnt find her slippers, or because her (deceased) husband hadnt come home, or she didnt know what to have for dinner, or ( on one memorable occasion) because she was "stuck" and when someone went round to investigate she opened the door to themo_O

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968