How many people are using or have used live in care for your relative?

doodle1

May 11, 2012
I have been managing live in care for the last five years ,first for both parents ,now just for mum. I wondered how long people managed to do this for and if they transferred their PWD to a home what was the tipping point or the reasons behind that choice. And also how did you supervise that care and how often you visited your PWD at home. I visit between three times a week and daily depending on the carer.

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
I have been managing live in care for the last five years ,first for both parents ,now just for mum. I wondered how long people managed to do this for and if they transferred their PWD to a home what was the tipping point or the reasons behind that choice. And also how did you supervise that care and how often you visited your PWD at home. I visit between three times a week and daily depending on the carer.

we have full time live in care for my father. I visit about once a month as I live a long way away. A sibling goes about every 2 weeks as they live a bit closer. We do A LOT on the phone! Currently it seems to be working, though it is relatively early days. We went from having 3-4 long visits a day and a night sitter, but that was getting so expensive (at an hourly rate) and didn't give the continuity of care he needs. We always thought that if he didn't know where he was and maybe didn't recognise anything/anyone it would be time to move him (assuming it doesn't happen before then is the money runs out). At 94, blind, fairly immobile and with mixed dementia, a move now would be really hard. He does sometimes question where he is but usually knows he is still in the house he has lived in for nearly 50 years

Sorry, just edited to say hi doodle1 - I only realised it was you after I posted

Last edited:

missmole

Feb 16, 2017
my mother has live-in care

My mother has had live-in care since February as she was losing so many things, becoming afraid, forgetting to eat properly etc. She was reluctant at first and we started with day carers but that wasn't successful as there were so many different people at different times she was very confused. Live-in carers usually work a 2 week rota and alternate with one other carer although we were lucky to get a lovely Polish lady who does 6 weeks with a two week break when another carer comes. I visit 3 times a week to give the carer a break. They require 14 hours off a week and I think that tends to equate to 2 hours a day but my mum can't be left alone and doesn't really understand the concept of a break! Some people employ a day carer to visit two hours a day to give the live-in carer a break but that would be too confusing for my mum. It is quite exhausting for me to visit so often as it's a 3 hour round trip but my mum is so much calmer and happier now. It's also very expensive and we are now looking at getting equity release on her property as my mum's savings are nearly depleted. But I feel it's the best option for my mother and the carers have been wonderful.