How many carers should their be to each Dementia patient?

juliejo

Oct 26, 2007
Lincolnshire.
i posted earlier on another thread about the treatment i witnessed of a resident where my father is in respite on Sunday.

Well i had an email from her asking me to ring to set up a meeting.
I rang her to be told that there was only 3 staff on on Sunday afternoon/evening with 21 residents all with Dementia/Altzhemiers.

One of the carers (so she said was dealing with and emergency) and that could i be at a meeting tomorrow as both carers were being called into a meeting.

As i am very ill myself i said no and would leave it with her.

I have sat and thought since that having 3 carers for 21 patients is appalling.

Just wondered what you all think of this.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I think that Sunday is no different to any other day as far as the residents are concerned. Whatever the right staffing ratio is, it should continue 7 days a week. Why should people be less safe on any particular day? Organisations need to recruit appropriately. In these times where jobs are hard to get, no-one is 'doing the organisation a favour' by working on a Sunday. It is just normal terms and conditions in a medical/care environment.

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
sadly I believe there is no minimum carer to residents ratio,I do find thos appalling as there is a ratio in place when looking after children:confused:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
as I said on your previous thread, there is no reason to be nasty just because you are short staffed, and well done for not going in to confront the carers at this meeting, that is not up to you, it is up to the manager.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I've signed and will send this link to everyone I know. This is such an important and long awaited petition. Thank God you signposted it here. Let's hope that everyone here on TP not only signs it but also forwards the link on to everyone they know.

xxTinaT

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
cynic in me........

Sunday duties..... pay double time...... profit margin..... if they can get away with it....

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
On my facebook page too. I hope that the Mods put this up as a sticky thread over the next week or so as it is SOOOOOOOO VERRRRRYYY IMMMPPPOORTTAANNT!!!!! and needs to be seen by every poster on TP

xxTinaT

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
I agree no excuse for what was lets face it abuse - shame on that woman:mad:

as I said on your previous thread, there is no reason to be nasty just because you are short staffed, and well done for not going in to confront the carers at this meeting, that is not up to you, it is up to the manager.

VJA

Mar 13, 2012
My Dad has recently been transferred from a secure old peoples home where he was happy and safe to a high security psychiatric hospital after a psychotic episode. He developed a type of EOD at 59 but has never been properly diagnosed. He is now 74. He has been in this place since Saturday, it has 28 beds and 4 staff. The residents are all high risk and it is a loud, scary and disruptive place. This transfer is meant to be for a psychiatric evaluation but 2 of the staff didn't even know who he was. I had to wait half an hour to speak to the senior nurse to check my dad was eating ok - he forgets if not supervised and is around a stone underweight. She said they weren't aware he had any dietary issues and no one has had time to read his file yet. My dad is terrified at being out of his usual environment and at having his space invaded - the staff tell me that there is no way to prevent other residents going in and out of each others rooms at any time in this mixed ward other than to lock people out of their bedrooms which then means they have no quiet place to go. I am so stressed and worried and just needed to get this off my chest. I am his only relative and have been coping with this since I was 21 but in the last couple of years have been happy to see him so settled. Do I have any rights at all about where he stays? Thanks

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
Welcome VJA. Have only just seen your post (went to sleep in the middle of reading thread last night so page only refreshed by previous post). Unfortunately (or rather fortunately for me) I have no relevant experience so cannot offer any advice but just wanted you to know I was not ignoring your post. I do hope you get some useful advice on here and can only say this is definitely the best place for help and support.

Jenny

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
cynic in me........

Sunday duties..... pay double time...... profit margin..... if they can get away with it....

I thought that Sunday was just another day in the working duty pattern - it is in my husband's nursing home.

I think the link needs it's own thread - not everyone is going to come on to this thread so will miss it. Not sure I know how to do this though and it's not really my call as neither my suggestion not my original thread.

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
I think the link needs it's own thread - not everyone is going to come on to this thread so will miss it. Not sure I know how to do this though and it's not really my call as neither my suggestion not my original thread.
I have sent a message to KatherineW to see if she might be able to help with this ,heres hoping

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Overwhelmed that's me