How many AD patients had Thyroid Disease?

I

inmyname

I am interested to know if theres a higher ratio of patients with AD who have any form of Thyroid Disease or if theres family history of Auto Immune diseases like Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis

I do know that being Hypothyroid puts one at much greater risk of AD especially if they are either undiagnosed or inadequately treated

The powers that be have suddenly raised all the lab values by which they diagnose Hypothyroid and this means even more people will be undiagnosed and untreated

Crazy really when in the USA they recognised the existing values were too high and they halved the values and thus are diagnosing and treating people before major damage is done

Myxodeama madness is the inevitable result following the UK messing around with values and a Thyroid Charity I know is deeply concerned

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
rheumatoid arthritis

My husband has rheumatoid arthritis and he has AD. He was diagnosed with the RA in 1999 and it's getting worse and worse - as it does obviously. The AD was diagnosed in August last year but looking back, there were signs around 3/4 years ago of it starting.

I myself have an underactive thyroid and take 100mcg of thyroxine per day so not too pleased to read this!

Twink

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Twink, please do not worry unduly. I my self have been on 150mg of thyroxine for more years that I care to remember.
I don't think there are many members of my family who have not had some form of thyroid disorder.......only good thing, no dementia at all.
WhilstI am not saying there is or isn't a link, I just don't think it is worth worrying about. One step at a time. Regards, Connie

I

inmyname

Twink if you are fit and well on 100mcg Thyroxine and presumably were diagnosed and treated quickly i doubt you have anything to worry about

Those who fall through the net of "blood values " and do not get diagnosed or treated quickly are the ones who may be vulnerable

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
thyroid and dementia

Thanks all for the info. I'm not panicking, was a bit down last week and thought oh no, not something else to worry about! lol

Twink/Sue

I

inmyname

I am aware that "a simple test SHOULD detect hypothyroid" however there are a proportion of patients in whom the test does not work and given that the powers that be in the UK have suddenly doubled the lab values instead of halving them as has been done in USA and elsewhere in the world there will sadly be loads more people who slip thru the net

You have to have experienced this problem with a relative to understand just how useless the simple test can be and you have to know an awful lot about thyroid conditions to understand why the doubling of lab values is going to prove so disastrous

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
I have an under-active thyroid myself, but it was only discovered 'by chance' when I was being investigated because of disabling migraine attacks. Eventually, I had a brain scan ( :p they wouldn't tell me if they ever found one :D ) and the consultant whom I saw was checking through the previous tests done, and spotted it.

Some GPs, apparently, do not regard it as very important. However, since it produces symptoms of extreme tiredness, loss of short term memory, lack of concentration and ability to focus, lethargy, weight gain, physical weakness etc. it IS very important to the patient, if only to eliminate one possible cause of some or all of those symptoms. It will probably not have escaped your notice that many of these symptoms are present in patients suffering from AD.

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
I remember before Steve was diagnosed, he had lots of blood tests and his thyroid was done then. I was told for a number of years that I was "borderline" underactive thyroid and my GP then wouldn't put me on thyroxine, I changed doctors for a different reason and was put on it straight away. I often think my eldest son might have an underactive thyroid too but he had the test and was told he hadn't but that's another story. I have a blood tst every year and it always comes back normal but you do sometimes wonder.

Twink/Sue

I

inmyname

Twink

I trust that you know you should not take your thyroxine for at least 24 hours before your thyroid test

many many people and doctors do not know that

Also 100mcg of thyroxine is a relatively low dose for a woman ........many are on 150 mcg or 175mcg
most men are on 250 mcg to 300 mcg

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks for that inmyname! I hadn't even thought about that but it does make perfect sense!!! No-one ever told me not to take it before a test! It's pretty obvious really when you think about it isn't it. I'm not due for another test until May but I shall now go and write that on my calendar at the top of the month because I will forget by then. I've been on 100mcg for years now. I used to see a consultant once a year when I lived in London too because they said I had cysts or nodules on my thyroid but it's not been mentioned for a long time as we left that area. I seem to be always at the surgery for my husband but we never think about our own health till we're ill do we.

Twink/Sue

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks a lot inmyname, I think this is the most I've read on it! I've had my thyroxine for many years and never questioned it. I will keep this for future reference. We all keep saying we have to take care of our own health when we have partners/parents with AD and I must admit, I don't bother too much about mine!!!!

Twink/Sue