How Long?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you everyone. I'm so glad I came home.

Sympathetic friends are worth more than selfish family. John's happy too, safely tucked up in his own bed.:)

Love,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Sod off . . .

. . . . that is what I feel like saying to all the "useless" relatives, including John's son!

(Fortunately my mother brought me up to be a lady, so it is only a virtual "sod off"!! ;) )

Hazel dear, more {{{HUGS}}}} for you. So, so sorry it didn't work out.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You've done your bit

to keep the selfish son up to date and on top of things. So now I think you can cheerfully ignore him. Answer questions he may pose but you need to focus on yourself and John.

Unfortunately, vacations don't go well for people with dementia. I think the strangeness of new places & faces overwhelms them. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you and John, it would have been so nice for you to have a happy memory of this time. But you can have other happy memories.

Take care of yourself and {{{HUGS}}}

Love
Joanne

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
OK, moans about the holiday. Most of them trivial, but bear with me.

1 Time of arrival, advertised as 4.00. I had said we’d drive up in the afternoon. Ewan said they’d let us in early, they were going to arrive in time to have lunch in the restaurant, then move in. We arrived at 1.00, to find they had discovered they couldn’t get in till 4, so weren’t arriving till then. They hadn’t told us, so we had to hang about for three hours, and John was very tired.

2. The fridge, full by the time I got to it, because the baby’s food was the priority. Yes, I know it is, but we have to eat too!

3. Downstairs loo. I used it for John, and was firmly told that they wanted to keep it as the baby changing room! I stuck to my ground on that one. They can manage stairs better than John can. In any case, John’s problem is not contagious!

4. Noise. The TV was on full time, whether anyone was watching or not, usually American programmes. The baby was at the shrieking stage, mum constantly spoke to him in Gujerati, because she wants him to be bilingual. Can you imagine the confusion for John?

5. Now we come to the serious one. I told them on Sunday night what I had discovered about the prognosis for PPA. I needn’t have worried about upsetting them, it was brushed aside as ‘oh well!’

Neither of them took any notice of John, didn’t even speak to him, let alone try to spend time with him. John was very upset on Monday afternoon. He was bored, he hated the noise, and he was fed up with getting no attention. In the end I’d had enough, and said ‘I do wish you’d pay some attention to your father, Ewan. I thought the whole point of this holiday was for you to spend some time together’.

That did it. I was unreasonable, controlling, and wanted everything my own way. He and his brothers had agreed on this, and they’d even talked to my son about it. If I didn’t stop I’d find myself on my own.

I replied that I had never asked any of them for anything, apart from to show their father some attention, and if I was on my own, so be it, I could cope so long as I knew where I stood.

Then John amazed me! I asked him (in front of them) if he thought we should go home. He replied 'Yes. I don't know these people.' I'm not sure that was quite what he meant, but it hit home!

But it hurts!

I don’t care about the holiday, it was probably a bad idea anyway. But I’m upset that they’re ganging upon me (if it’s true!), and particularly if they’ve included my son in their machinations. I’m feeling very paranoid (and even paranoiacs have enemies!)

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Hazel,

I'm so sorry the holiday didn't work out for you - last time we took mum away she was kind of difficult (I'm being kind here!;) ) but we still tried to make it nice for dad - a shame John's son couldn't see that he could have made it a lovely break for you.

It is a mystery these relatives who just can't cope isn't it? My mum's sister is behaving attrociously at the moment - I try not to judge but when she dodged out of mum's 60th birthday do at the last minute it took all my will power not to give her both barrels!

Apparently, she can't cope with it all - well that's nice but she isn't actually coping with any practicalities - the only time she sees mum is when dad's there and he obviously looks after her.

Sounds like John's son is the same - I can appreciate he has a baby (I have a young family and it can be tiring) but I feel it's probably more that he can't accept what's happening to his dad so he takes out his anger and frustration on you.

I wouldn't necessarily believe that they're all ganging up on you without proof - he probably knows he's being a complete git but wants to make it seem like it's not just him. If they are ganging up on you screw em!! You're the one caring for John and it's what you deem best that matters. Ooh I'm all mad on your behalf!!!

I so wish it was better for you as you're clearly an incredibly caring and compassionate woman and you more than deserve their support and respect.

Kate P
XXX

Last edited:

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Done Your Duty

Dear Hazel
I am so sorry your holiday did not work out, more so because I tried to book one of the log cabins on Loch Lomond because they looked so nice.
As to Johns son you have done your duty and informed they what is going on and if that is the response then so be it, forget about them you have enough to think about . You do such a good job looking after John you do not need the hassle, I`ll bet after a few months they will be wanting to know why you are not keeping in touch, and like most familys if god forbid anything happens they will be first there with their hands out.
I going to Loch Lomond in two weeks and I will be thinking of you.
Look after your self and I am sorry if what I say offends or hurts you in any way, I wish all the best for you.
Love Roseann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Kate. I'm trying hard not to believe it, but I'm scared to ask the others in case it's true, and I end up with another row.

As I said at the beginning, Ewan has never been supportive, even before the baby was born he very rarely came to see us, or even rang. And yet he had a large contribution to the cost of the wedding, and later baby equipment from us.

One more thing. I'd said we'd share the cost of the lodge, and Ewan had told me how much it was, and how much our share would be. (I have such difficulty dividing by 2!)

Anyway, when we were leaving, I gave him a cheque for £500. Hema took it and said they had always intended to pay for it all as a treat for us. When I said I'd rather pay our share, she said they wouldn't cash the cheque.

So if they don't cash it, it could go to a worthy charity. Anyone know of one?:D

Last edited:

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Hello Hazel,

So sorry to read that your break was a disaster. Rather similar to my own last week, only I wouldn't give in & it was my kids that were the problem.

John's sons attitude sounds very similar to that of my mum's brothers. Both are aware of what the situation is with Gran, yet neither of them bother to come and see her, and never bother to pick up the phone and talk to mam and ask if there's anything they can do. When they do bother to ring, they veer off the subject when mam tells them whats been happening. They just plain don't want to hear it.

All I can say is that you've told them the information you've been given. At NO point in the future will they be able to accuse you of not keeping them in the loop, or witholding things from them. You did the right thing in telling them, what they do with the news thereafter is entirely up to them.

If you've never had support from them previous to this holiday, then you're not going to miss not having it now are you?

I'm sorry that they feel this way and behave this way towards you, it takes all sorts to make a world. You need to take comfort from the knowledge that John would rather be with you in the comforts of his own environment than be among selfish people who appear not to give a stuff. That speaks volumes to me about your care and compassion towards him, and should let you know that he appreciates you whole heaps.

Great big hugs for you.

Gill
xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi ROSEANN

You don't hurt me or offend me in any way. It's wonderful that people here don't believe what he said.

As for the wills, they will get something when John dies, but the bulk will come to me -- and I'll decide who gets what.:D

Hope you have a great trip to Loch Lomond. The scenery is so beautiful. We go up regularly to visit one of John's cousins. She's 91, and is touring the Western Isles just now. A pity, we could have moved in with her if she had been at home.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Hazel,

I don`t want to add to your hurt by calling John`s sons but I cannot sympathize with you enough.

What on earth is the point of having a holiday with an invalid father, only to ignore his needs.

Please don`t give them another thought Hazel. They have let their father down badly.

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Skye said:
Then John amazed me! I asked him (in front of them) if he thought we should go home. He replied 'Yes. I don't know these people.'
I suspect with that clearmindedness that dementia sometimes provides that he knew exactly what he was saying.

Really sorry about these people but it seems to me they have been given their chance.

You both deserve better.

I'd be thinking that they deserve nothing at all.....

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Skye said:
We arrived at 1.00, to find they had discovered they couldn’t get in till 4, so weren’t arriving till then. They hadn’t told us, so we had to hang about for three hours, and John was very tired.

I'm sorry Hazel, but do these people have any idea what it's like caring for people with dementia? It can be difficult enough keeping them calm for 5 minutes, but 3 HOURS!:eek:

Neither of them took any notice of John, didn’t even speak to him, let alone try to spend time with him. John was very upset on Monday afternoon. He was bored, he hated the noise, and he was fed up with getting no attention. In the end I’d had enough, and said ‘I do wish you’d pay some attention to your father, Ewan. I thought the whole point of this holiday was for you to spend some time together’.

So you told Ewan that his time with his father may be limited, and he chooses to squander that time? His loss and one day he will realise this, probably too late.

That did it. I was unreasonable, controlling

Controlling? Of course you're controlling. You have to be. If you didn't control things, who would? I suggest you say to them 'You know what? You're right. I am too controlling and I am now handing control over to you whilst I skip off to the Caribbean. See you in 2 weeks'

If I didn’t stop I’d find myself on my own.

How will you notice the difference?

Then John amazed me! I asked him (in front of them) if he thought we should go home. He replied 'Yes. I don't know these people.' I'm not sure that was quite what he meant, but it hit home!

Hurrah!! Well done John! Wish I'd been a fly on the wall to see the looks on their faces.

I know it hurts, but you probably feel more hurt for John and it seems like he no longer cares much for them either.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Hazel,

I am so sorry the holiday was such a pain. I can't think of anything better than Sue said, so if I may, I'll just be Little Miss Echo and say:

What Sue Said!!!!

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Connie you are so right re coping. My daughter understands and feels desperately for me but she cannot cope with what is happening to her mother and is guilt ridden as a consequence. I know one day she will bitterly regret her attitude.

Hazel - I am sorry that you had such a pig of a time.

Thinking of you

Dick

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What an ingrate

Dear Hazel,

John's son sounds like a selfish, insufferable ingrate and as for the comment he made about you being controlling, just let him know you will not be controlling with him in the future and you'll leave him well out of EVERYTHING unless he asks. I think that the comment he made about his brothers agreeing on this and speaking to your son - sounds like a bit of wishful thinking to me. Perhaps he said something & got a non-commital response, which to his mind sounded like agreement. People play very loose and easy with facts, twisting them to suit themselves.

Nice to know you get to decide who gets what when the time comes :) .

Love
Joanne

P.S. About that deserving charity, I certainly could help you there!:D :D

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If I didn’t stop I’d find myself on my own.

Now that is a cruel and controlling, thing to say, its him that controlling turning it all around on to you , good for you :) for standing your ground , going home & giving them the money .

at lest you gave it a go , going away with them for a few days and now you know his true colors

Last edited:

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Hazel

I am so very sorry you didn’t have your well deserved break, and it clearly didn’t do John any good either.

Sounds to me like you have yourself a right bunch of selfish so and so’s attached to you.

I am sure your son is not buying into anything your stepson may have to say.

Well you are back amongst your TP family now, who totally understand what you are going through, and are here for you 24/7. Just a shame we cannot provide the physical hugs when you need them.

But sending you a virtual hug.

Love

Cate xxxx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well, I think some of you parents/step-parents are being pretty magnanimous here!!!! Just where would these 'grown-up children' be if their parent's partners couldn't cope themselves???? Or their parent didn't have a devoted partner????? They would have to cope then .... ???

I don't cope very well all the time with my mother (as some well know!) .... we haven't always shared the greatest relationship ..... but to turn my back on her???? To think if my dad was still around I'd just 'let him get on with it' ...???? I'm sorry, maybe I'm clean out of of empathy tonight ...... maybe I'm concerned that I'm part of a generation which doesn't seem to care ...... or hasn't needed to build the 'life skills' to cope with difficult situations ..... and so doesn't ....

I just find this so desperately, desperately sad ......

Hazel (John, of course), Dick, Connie ... anyone else with 'middle-aged children' like me ..... I feel there is some kind of privilege in being able to 'repay' the care once given when we were vulnerable ....... I think I'm most sad and sorry for those of my generation who can't see that .... and out of all the heartache our situations bring not to fulfil that opportunity to give something back is their loss more than anyone's.......

Shame not on them - but for them ......

Much love, Karen, x