How long to get a reply re carers allowance

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I've been caring for mum since she moved in with me almost 3 months ago. I applied to Carers Allowance on 9th May and apart from an on line message to say theyve received have not heard anything. Should I be concerned? How long does it usually take as I could really do with this as can no longer work as I'm caring for mum 24/7. X

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Mine took less than two weeks to be processed and paid but that was back in December - they might be busy now or half the staff on holiday. You could always give them a call on Monday to chase.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
If I am right carers allowance is only payable if your mother receives attendance allowance. We applied for that first and once it was granted then I applied for carers allowance which didn't take very long. It's all stopped now as my mum has gone into residential care.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I applied for carers allowance 28th April

Hi

I applied for carers allowance on 28th April as I care for my mum. Mum received a letter on Friday advising her that I had applied for Carers Allowance and requesting she contacts them if I am not her carer or if I do not provide care for 35 hours or more per week. I'm sure I read they take 4 weeks to process a claim, but its taken them much more than that to date. At least they seem to be looking at it now.

Hope this helps a bit.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I got my Carers' Allowance within 2 weeks, I don't think they even contacted my Mum to ask if my claim was justified!

Your Mum does have to be in receipt of Attendance Allowance though.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Yes mum is in receipt of attendance allowance. I will try and phone them tomorrow. It may be that my sister is still claiming mum is living with her and claiming it fraudulently yet my Mum moved in with me when she and I discovered huge financial abuse of her accounts by my sister!

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Yes mum is in receipt of attendance allowance. I will try and phone them tomorrow. It may be that my sister is still claiming mum is living with her and claiming it fraudulently yet my Mum moved in with me when she and I discovered huge financial abuse of her accounts by my sister!

Could your sister be claiming Carer's Allowance for your Mum as well TMB? If she's not working full time that is a possibility...

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
That is what I am wondering. I am now an DWP Appointee for mums current account into which her AA and pension goes into as DWP removed my sister when they knew about the fraud. I wouldn't be at all surprised she's still claiming carers allowance and saying mums still living with her!!! No she doesn't work at all. I dont now as I'm caring for mum full time. X

Last edited:

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Just phoned them to be told they haven't looked at my application yet as 8-9 weeks wait at mo. Great!!!!! X

Last edited:

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Update

Still no carers allowence. Phoned up after 4 weeks and was told they are all behind and it would be 8 weeks. Phoned again after 8 weeks and was told it may be 12 weeks. After 12 weeks phoned to be told they had lost my application even though I had received an email to say they had received it 12 weeks ago!! Sent another off to now have received a letter to say I cannot get it as someone else is claiming it. Hmmmm my sister (same sister who is taking me to court and is under investigation for fraud on mums accounts) is still claiming it fraudulently even though my Mum has not lived there for 4 months now!!! I have rung and told them and put it in writing but they couldn't tell me how much longer I will have to wait to get it!!!! Has anybody any experience of this? Xx

Last edited:

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
This is ridiculous now!

Phoned up about my carers allowance today to no avail. Still cant reverse their decision on not allowing me to claim it as sister is still claiming it and has done for the four months Mum has lived with me! They have tried phoning her but she doesn't answer the phone, they have written but she's hasn't replied......well no, she's unlikely to! Apparently they will give her another two weeks to respond and then have a look at my case again. Hmmm so what are Mum and I meant to do in the meantime starve?? The whole situation is appalling.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan