How long is a piece of string ...

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

I know I am most probably asking a similar question as to how long a piece of string is...:eek:

I have looked on this site and it tells you about the different stages, but nothing says about the progression, how long until the next stage??

I suppose it depends on each individual person??

Love Michele x

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi, michelle
with alzheimers, the stages can over lap and everyone is unique so it's hard to say. However, the prognosis is on average 8 yrs from diagnosis but can be 20 years!! So it really is like saying 'how long is a piece of string?!!' They (whoever they are ) think my mam has FTD and this is supposed to be a more aggressive type of dementia with a different clinical course (but again I've read conflicting articles). I think it's a bit like babies, most go through the stages but at different rates and not all babies crawl before walking. Hope I am making some sense! (that'll be a first) Berni xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Michele said:
I have looked on this site and it tells you about the different stages, but nothing says about the progression, how long until the next stage??

I suppose it depends on each individual person??

I`m afraid it does, Michele. It`s the answer we would all appreciate, but we have to take it as it comes.

Love xx

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Michele,

I'm not sure even two people in the medical profession would give you the same answer. It depends on the type of dementia, vascular dementia for example gives more ups and downs, you may get good weeks and bad weeks - but this is not always the case.

It does seem to depend on the individual so there are no hard and fast rules. I've read up on the various stages, but I've not seen always seen dad fit into the pattern and I'm sure he is not the only one who is an exception to these rules. I could pass you the details of a a couple of good books on dementia which detail the stages and changes if you like?

The following links may offer a little guidance, but as you'll see from many posts most of us just cope with the changes day to day.

How dementia progresses

The Progression of Alzheimer's disease

In my humble opinion, sometimes it is best not to know how long the piece of string is.

Kindest Regards
Craig

Last edited:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Michelle,

One of the most heart breaking things is to be told that someone close has Alzheimers' but then not to receive any guidance as to how it will progress.

Sylvia so rightly says: we have to take it as it comes

Sorry.................

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Michelle

I forget who summed up AD with the phrase, 'seen one person with AD, and you have seen one person with AD', I think that is the most applicable thing I have ever read.

My advice also as Sylvia has said, take it as it comes. Personnaly I think to try and second guess what the future might hold would be heartbreaking, its hard enough as it is coping with the day to day. Enjoy the good times, and weather the bad as best you can.

Love

Cate

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Michele,Time and tide wait's for no man.Unfortunatley this goes for Alzheimers/dementia sufferers also.love and hope is all we can ask.love elainex

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Just appreciate:
the prognosis is on average 8 yrs from diagnosis but can be 20 years!! [/QUOTE

When I was trying to placate Lionel I would have given anything for a definitive answer.]

Now: to be honest I don't want an answer. I don't want to know how much longer I have with my lovely man.

As long as he is 'content' That's good enough for me.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Carriead

My mum went from being seemingly okay (apart from saying my dad had returned from the dead), to needing full time care, in less than 6 weeks. Never mind 8 years.

Regards

Margaret

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, you are right I am best off not knowing, and from now on I am just going to enjoy every day.
Love
Michele x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Michele said:
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, you are right I am best off not knowing, and from now on I am just going to enjoy every day.
Love
Michele x

Michele, I think you're absolutely right. I think you can only be aware that today may be the best your loved one is ever going to be and appreciate the time you spend with them.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Michele said:
and from now on I am just going to enjoy every day.

Absolutely, Michele. That's the principle we all try to follow. The good days are a bonus, and to be treasured.

Love,