How long is a piece of string ...

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Michele, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Michele

Michele Registered User

Oct 6, 2007
    Hi,

I know I am most probably asking a similar question as to how long a piece of string is...:eek:

I have looked on this site and it tells you about the different stages, but nothing says about the progression, how long until the next stage??

I suppose it depends on each individual person??

Love Michele x

2. cariad

cariad Registered User

Sep 29, 2007
    Hi, michelle
    with alzheimers, the stages can over lap and everyone is unique so it's hard to say. However, the prognosis is on average 8 yrs from diagnosis but can be 20 years!! So it really is like saying 'how long is a piece of string?!!' They (whoever they are ) think my mam has FTD and this is supposed to be a more aggressive type of dementia with a different clinical course (but again I've read conflicting articles). I think it's a bit like babies, most go through the stages but at different rates and not all babies crawl before walking. Hope I am making some sense! (that'll be a first) Berni xx

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent

I`m afraid it does, Michele. It`s the answer we would all appreciate, but we have to take it as it comes.

Love xx

4. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    #4 CraigC, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
    Michele,

I'm not sure even two people in the medical profession would give you the same answer. It depends on the type of dementia, vascular dementia for example gives more ups and downs, you may get good weeks and bad weeks - but this is not always the case.

It does seem to depend on the individual so there are no hard and fast rules. I've read up on the various stages, but I've not seen always seen dad fit into the pattern and I'm sure he is not the only one who is an exception to these rules. I could pass you the details of a a couple of good books on dementia which detail the stages and changes if you like?

The following links may offer a little guidance, but as you'll see from many posts most of us just cope with the changes day to day.

How dementia progresses

The Progression of Alzheimer's disease

In my humble opinion, sometimes it is best not to know how long the piece of string is.

Kindest Regards
    Craig

5. Cliff

Cliff Registered User

Jun 29, 2007
    North Wales
    Hello Michelle,

One of the most heart breaking things is to be told that someone close has Alzheimers' but then not to receive any guidance as to how it will progress.

Sylvia so rightly says: we have to take it as it comes

Sorry.................

6. Cate

Cate Registered User

Jul 2, 2006
    Newport, Gwent
    Hi Michelle

I forget who summed up AD with the phrase, 'seen one person with AD, and you have seen one person with AD', I think that is the most applicable thing I have ever read.

My advice also as Sylvia has said, take it as it comes. Personnaly I think to try and second guess what the future might hold would be heartbreaking, its hard enough as it is coping with the day to day. Enjoy the good times, and weather the bad as best you can.

Love

Cate

7. elaineo2

elaineo2 Registered User

Jul 6, 2007
    leigh lancashire
    Dear Michele,Time and tide wait's for no man.Unfortunatley this goes for Alzheimers/dementia sufferers also.love and hope is all we can ask.love elainex

8. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Just appreciate:

9. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    Carriead

My mum went from being seemingly okay (apart from saying my dad had returned from the dead), to needing full time care, in less than 6 weeks. Never mind 8 years.

Regards

Margaret

10. Michele

Michele Registered User

Oct 6, 2007
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, you are right I am best off not knowing, and from now on I am just going to enjoy every day.
    Love
    Michele x

11. sue38

sue38 Registered User

Mar 6, 2007
    Wigan, Lancs
    Michele, I think you're absolutely right. I think you can only be aware that today may be the best your loved one is ever going to be and appreciate the time you spend with them.

12. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Absolutely, Michele. That's the principle we all try to follow. The good days are a bonus, and to be treasured.

Love,