How long does this stage last..........

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
I realise everyone is different and each step effects people in different ways but is there any guideline as to how long the wanting to wander off lasts. Yesterday he went off 4 times each time came back by himself as i did not stop him (put an i phone in his pocket so we can track his whereabouts) but even this exhausting as cannot go anywhere. His mood seems to get better about 4 thats most of the day gone then by 1830 he is subdued again. Little man was crying the other day he wants to know when daddy is going to get better, he will be 8 next Thursday. What do I say "Daddy is not going to get better if any thing it is going to worse". For now I tell him we just have to wait and see if the new medicine works.........

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It lasted a long time for us Keegan which is why I implore you to get some help, even if it means medicating.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I feel very sad for you because you are going through this so young and with a small child. For my husband it was an escalating thing from going out inappropriately but eventually coming back to going out and not knowing how to get back. Your husband sounds at an early stage which means a long way to go.

With us it lasted from about last October until this September and it would still be going on if the medication had not taken effect eventually. Try to give yourself and your little son as normal a life as possible even if this means letting your husband go out and do what he wants. I talk to others with this problem at some of our Alz groups and not one has found a solution. It mostly ends up with police involvement, medication and I'm sorry to say a care home for safety's sake.

The use of a smart phone/tracker is a good start. Best wishes.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Did not expect that response in the sense that timeline is like eternity. Took other half with me to Chiswick which is a fair distance from where we live to watch little one play football, as soon as we got there he did not want to stay so decided to walk off. Obviously I had to stay with my son i phone informed me where he was and 2 hours later I went and picked him up. Son was not happy as dad was missing and had not watched his match. Going back to memory clinic on Tuesday see what we are going to do. Biggest problem at the moment is he does not like his new phone and does not want to carry it around. I have put in a zip pocket in his jacket since he refused to carry it, thats a problem to because the jacket is new and its the only where I can put in a discreet zip pocket which he doesn't know how to open, he is aware something is in there but does not know what. Hopefully he will get used to jacket, roll on Tuesday. I live in hope for that miracle pill................

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Door

Did not expect that response in the sense that timeline is like eternity. Took other half with me to Chiswick which is a fair distance from where we live to watch little one play football, as soon as we got there he did not want to stay so decided to walk off. Obviously I had to stay with my son i phone informed me where he was and 2 hours later I went and picked him up. Son was not happy as dad was missing and had not watched his match. Going back to memory clinic on Tuesday see what we are going to do. Biggest problem at the moment is he does not like his new phone and does not want to carry it around. I have put in a zip pocket in his jacket since he refused to carry it, thats a problem to because the jacket is new and its the only where I can put in a discreet zip pocket which he doesn't know how to open, he is aware something is in there but does not know what. Hopefully he will get used to jacket, roll on Tuesday. I live in hope for that miracle pill................
Sorry to hear your news especially with a young child.
Hubby has gone out twice but luckily realised.Now I double lock the door,hide the keys at all times.