How long does this go on for?

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I know that I may be asking the proverbial "how long is a piece of string " question but I just want to get some idea of other's experiences. My partner was diagnosed at 61 and is now 65. He can no longer walk and can barely stand with support. He no longer knows me and needs feeding, has been incontinent for about 18months. When he can no longer stand I think it may be necessary for him to go into a facility where I am presuming they will keep him in bed most of the time. Being a relatively young person how long will he live? The thought of him trapped in there is heartbreaking.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Like you say, how long is a piece of string? My mom is in a home and has been since last September. She has had this cruel disease for 9 years and we know she is in the late stages, and have been told she could survive for years. Mom now cannot walk very well. We got her a wheelchair which they get her around in. She is never left in bed, is always up showered and dressed. The homes are very well equipped with hoists. It is a very cruel and nasty disease and like you it is heartbreaking to watch a loved one slowly disappear. Keep strong and take care. Xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Husband was also young-he died three months and five days ago. When Pete could no longer stand or walk he wasn't kept in bed-I would avoid any CH that does so. As his Dementia progressed he was bed bound for longer periods of time-but only because he needed the rest. In between times he was always transferred to a chair in the lounge where he could have company.

I'm so sorry that you are having to witness your Husband's deterioration when he is so young.

Love'

Lyn T XX

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
When he can no longer stand I think it may be necessary for him to go into a facility where I am presuming they will keep him in bed most of the time.
That is most unlikely because of the danger of pressure sores.
My husband had a radical leg amputation and could no longer weight-bear on his remaining one months before he entered a nursing home but was still up, dressed and in his electronically adjustable chair for 4 hours a day.

Even residents who kept to their rooms were up and dressed for a period of time.

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Leaving aside the in bed/ in chair thing I guess I was looking for some idea of how long this final stage can last in a younger person. My partner is 65 now and was a fit and healthy person (he was still walking quite long distances and riding up until about 18 months ago). I know that older people often go quite quickly when they reach this stage but not so sure about younger people. My partner's first grand child was born this week, so sad for him and his son that he cannot share that with them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Once the mobility goes people do seem more prone to infection.

My husband was immobile for four years but was hoisted and wheelchaired in and out of bed, to and from the dining room, even when he had to be fed.

It must keep the circulation going to some extent.

My husband wasn't Young and was diabetic but managed to resist infection until his body really started to weaken. It was aspiration pneumonia which helped end his life.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was diagnosed in January 2001 when she had just turned 64 and has been in a wheelchair since September 2006. She has just been put on pureed foods two weeks ago. I expect to have her with us for several more years.

It is an unanswerable question.