How long does panel decision for care home funding take?

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
My mum's case went before the panel on 18 December and we still haven't heard anything. She went from hospital to a nursing home just before Christmas and Dad's been invoiced for the home. As she is bedridden and needs help with all aspects of daily care we are hoping she will get some financial help from the local authority. Unfortunately we don't have POA so are thinking about starting the Court of Protection route. I have contacted our social worker but she is not very reliable.
Am I right in thinking that Dad should not pay anything personally and that fees will be taken from Mum's estate once she has passed away, even if it might not be for another couple of years? In which case we wouldn't need to bother with the hassle of C of P?
Thanks for any advice.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
You are right your Father will pay nothing towards your Mother's care. If the house belongs to your Mother and Father it will not be taken into account because your Father needs to live there so it is disregarded. So your Mother's assets are what ever savings etc. that are in her name.

If these assets are above£23250 then she will be self funding, below this the LA will contribute a little towards her care until she reaches £14250 when she will be expected to contribute her state pension and half any private pension with the LA contributing what ever is their rate for care home or nursing home.

I am not sure what assets she would have that would be deferred until she dies.

Of course if she is awarded CHC then she will pay nothing, the NHS will cover her fees, or she could be awarded nursing care that the NHS would pay to the home. This is around £109 per week.

The above is a simplification of what happens, there are variations.

Edited to say....... If it is the panel that decides on CHC then ours took just a week but others on here have waited many weeks.

Last edited:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
been waiting over a year to hear about mum;s re assessment, not pushing it as she still has funding just now. It's disgraceful but this time the wait is working in our favour it seems.

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Thanks you

Thanks for your replies, I guess we will just have to keep waiting. Meanwhile the bills are mounting up! All very stressful.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
I have letters telling me my mum went before a panel only to find out form the HEAD of her commissioning group she NEVER did!

Shocking really :(

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks for your replies, I guess we will just have to keep waiting. Meanwhile the bills are mounting up! All very stressful.

Yes it is stressful; Pete had CHC awarded 1 hour after the assessment. I gathered from Pete's SW that timescale was previously unheard of-mind you this was the same SW who told me that Pete wouldn't get it.:eek: