How long does Ebixa last?

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
We've been building up the dosage from 5 to 15mg, which we're now on from last week. Each dosage lasted from a few weeks to a month. At the moment her psychotic moments are getting worse. What happens when we get to the max of 20 - will that stop working after a month?
This mornings episode was awful the heartrending at the end when she snapped out of it and said: "I'm sorry - it's me - I think I'm going mad. I don't know what to do"

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
Ebixa is a temporary respite but not a fix

Hi there

I think it differs between individuals and what part of the brain is affected and at what stage they have reached. As I understand it Ebixa is for early and middle stage Dementia

My partner went on it before it was on general relaese and he started at 10mg. The change was instant and I thought it was fantastic but 18 months later he is now up to 20mg and we may as well be back at the beginning.:(

I knew it was a temporary fix but it was much shorter than I hoped

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My experience with my wife when titrating at 5mg/wk for 4 weeks was that evening agitation increased till halfway through week 3 when it reduced. It has stayed at a manageable level since week 4, now half way through week 6, the 20mg is given half in the morning and half at night.
The big bonus is that from week 2 she has actually slept at night.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Ebixa is not a cure-all

Although Ebixa has been very effective in slowing disease progress in my mother, and has helped somewhat with her agitation and aggression, we still had to go to additional medications to help keep her on an even keel.

I think you both should discuss this with a doctor.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
...I think you both should discuss this with a doctor...

Thanks for your advice but if I am included in 'both' the situation is currently under review by both a consultant neurologist and a consultant psychiatrist. The problem is that the anxiety caused as a side effect of Memantine cannot be treated by anti psychotics as these are contra indicated in cases of LDB. Donepezil has ceased to have any affect.

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
Ebixa

Canadian Joanne

I am in close touch with mum's consultant but he hasn't indicated any other compatible medication. What were the person you were referring to on?
Thanks everyone for you comments - much appreciated.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Canadian Joanne

I am in close touch with mum's consultant but he hasn't indicated any other compatible medication. What were the person you were referring to on?
Thanks everyone for you comments - much appreciated.

I was referring to you and your wife (or mother, I'm not certain, sorry).

My mother is on memantine (Ebixa) and is also on quetiapine, which is an antipsychotic. She has been on both for a number of years - at least 5 - and she, fortunately, hasn't had any noticeable side effects. Her agitation and aggression were so severe that her blood pressure went up considerably.

Antipsychotics must be monitored carefully but in some cases they are a good thing.