How long after an infection?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Does it take for someone with dementia to recover? Or do they? Mum has had a virus and a slight temp, and even after a week of antibiotics in case Mum developed a chest infection ( she is still coughing) she is almost as just as confused and muddled.
One morning she got up early, and Dad didn't hear her, ( we are guessing) she boiled the kettle and filled her hot water bottle. She went back to bed and woke with a burn and a blister on the back of her hand. Of course she doesn't remember doing it.
Her hot water bottle has a cover over it, and we think when trying to fill it and probably with a shaky right hand a splash of hot water went on her left hand.
This is a worry. Personally I would like to throw the hot water bottles away, but wheat bags heated in the microwave are totally foreign to Mum & Dad. We have tried them before. Dad is usually the one that fills them.

She is still wobbly on her feet and calling me more often too.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Does it take for someone with dementia to recover? Or do they? Mum has had a virus and a slight temp, and even after a week of antibiotics in case Mum developed a chest infection ( she is still coughing) she is almost as just as confused and muddled.
One morning she got up early, and Dad didn't hear her, ( we are guessing) she boiled the kettle and filled her hot water bottle. She went back to bed and woke with a burn and a blister on the back of her hand. Of course she doesn't remember doing it.
Her hot water bottle has a cover over it, and we think when trying to fill it and probably with a shaky right hand a splash of hot water went on her left hand.
This is a worry. Personally I would like to throw the hot water bottles away, but wheat bags heated in the microwave are totally foreign to Mum & Dad. We have tried them before. Dad is usually the one that fills them.

She is still wobbly on her feet and calling me more often too.

It varies with everyone really Linbrusco but the antibiotics themselves whilst helping still knock you for six.

I think you can get water bottle shaped microwaveable bottles but maybe that is still too foreign?

Chest infections can lay anyone low for quite some time so a week isn't long really to recover. Hope she picks up soon.

Best wishes
Sue:)

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Unfortunately the microwaveable wheat pads aren't completely safe either - if they are overheated they can be a fire risk.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Wheat bags are not safe either, I agree, we use them at work and unless you watch really carefully they can catch fire.
If your mum has had a virus then antibiotics won't have helped and she may just be taking la long time to get over the virus. Sometimes these chesty things can take ages to recover from, our GP reckons 6 weeks for the young and healthy lads we send to him sometimes.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Unfortunately the microwaveable wheat pads aren't completely safe either - if they are overheated they can be a fire risk.

Sorry I should have added wheat bags were a failure, as dad has not used a microwave in his life, and Mum cannot remember whether to heat things up for 1 min or 2mns, and would probably heat them for 20mns, so definitely a fire risk too.
At least its getting into our summer.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. After the infection had cleared up it often took my mum a few weeks to recover and she often needed two courses of antibiotics to clear up infections

As your Mum is still coughing it may be wise for mum to have another check up, just incase she has a bit of a chest infection . I found that even a mild infection used to knock my mum for six.

I hope you see a big improvement in your mum soon

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Staffs