How fast things change DoL has been granted

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
In less than a 2 weeks we have gone from a lady with ALZ who was perfectly safe and could look after herself fairly well to UTI, doctor call out, fast response nursing team sent out, hospitalisation and now deprecation of liberty. God this disease is so damaging to all who care for those afflicted. I know she is in best place and hope that she will return home well and safe very soon but it doesn’t look or feel good.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
All the Deprivation of liberty means- at this stage- is that if she tried to walk out of a hospital ward, or dischage herself some how- she can be prevented from doing so.

You and I are perfectly at liberty to walk out of a hospital ward- she isnt. And that should help keep her safe

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
In less than a 2 weeks we have gone from a lady with ALZ who was perfectly safe and could look after herself fairly well to UTI, doctor call out, fast response nursing team sent out, hospitalisation and now deprecation of liberty. God this disease is so damaging to all who care for those afflicted. I know she is in best place and hope that she will return home well and safe very soon but it doesn’t look or feel good.
I am so sorry, this disease can change so fast either way that it’s very destabilising for the person giving care. My thoughts are with you and hope treatment puts her back on an even keel. You even more so because without you she is in trouble. (Selfish Pig is good on this about you and the importance of your health).

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
DoLS is a safeguarding measure, not a straitjacket or imprisonment. It's in place to keep your wife safe, so she doesn't leave the ward and go wandering. Without it the staff would not be able to stop her.

That's all it is.

But I do know what you mean about the speed of change. My mum went from undiagnosed and living completely independently, to a slight fall, then hospital. When we visited she was completely changed - the dementia had escalated horribly and she needed 24/7 care after that.

Take care

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Sorry to hear this, my wife is also in Hospital having a fall on Friday, boken upper arm but not able to discharge her as she could not walk, the dementia has increased, she is very confused and still walking poorly, not eating, possible UTI but they have not been able to get a good sample?
She keeps wanting to come home but she is refusing MRI and not letting them take bloods, I am sure they would not let her leave if she tried.
I visit morning and afternoon but leave at 4pm feeling drained then come home and worry.

you have to try to accept she is in the best place for her where she can receive care, that is what Itell myself