How fast can the drugs work?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by JackMac, Feb 26, 2011.

1. JackMac

JackMac Registered User

Jun 26, 2010
    west midlands
    #1 JackMac, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    hi everyone

What's the fastest any of you have seen a drug show results?

It's probably not related to the drug but my mum was started on aricept last tuesday so she's had 4 tablets. She was going downhill fast I thought. the last few weeks have been bad and the last week, very bad. I spent most of last week distraught thinking this was the downward spiral.
    Then yesterday, dad said she was fine and today she is almost like her old self of 2 years ago! I just rang dad and she even got on the other phone and started joining in our conversation. Can't remember her doing that for a year or more!

Its too early for aricept to have any effect surely isn't it? And surely it can't be placebo effect with a condition like this?
    I'm not getting my hopes up. It may just be some good days...and if so, I'm going to enjoy them while they last!

any thoughts on this?

thanks
    jackmac

oh and my dad just text me to say she's ready to go to the pub! They haven't done that in months!

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    #2 lin1, Feb 26, 2011
    Jacjmac Hi
    Im so pleased to read your mum has improved so much in such a short time.
    I do hope it is the Aricept

When we eventually got mum on Ebixa dad and I noticed that mums almost daily backward slide halted within a week ,
    Dad and I were beside outselves with joy but like you couldn't quite believe it at first .

I know you dont want to get your hopes up too much but in my personal view (im no medic) to see such a big improvement in your mum in so short a time is a very good sign indeed !!!

Really all you can do is wait and see .

Ps just reread my post .some how put betrayed instead of your name , i dont know how I did that , please accept my apologies, was using my phone at the time sorry.

3. carrie99

carrie99 Registered User

Apr 26, 2009
    Yorkshire
    #3 carrie99, Feb 26, 2011
    Aricept!

When I was finally put onto Aricept, I noticed an immediate improvement. But I did have a dicky stomach while I got used to it. Goodness knows what would happen if I didn't take them!
    Also I am told by my doctor that I will feel loads better as the days get longer.
    Can't wait!
    Carrie

4. JackMac

JackMac Registered User

Jun 26, 2010
    west midlands
    wow, maybe we can have some hope that it is the aricept then.

We were stunned today by her involvement in the conversation compared to the last few weeks. Dad said he noticed too and they're off down the pub now! She's only having one drink though as drink doesn't mix with aricept.

she said she feels a bit 'queasy' but thats it since taking aricept so no major side effects so far either.

just praying this will continue.
    so lovely to hear your positive stories and I'm so happy for you too!

jackmac

5. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    What ever the reason for the upturn, just enjoy it. Night.x.:)

6. tish

tish Registered User

Feb 8, 2011
    I think its difficult to say how long any medication will work, all i can say is that my niece is on Aricept at the moment. She is aged 35 and i have to say she was very poorly, her memory was lost sometimes within 2 seconds of things happening. Its great at the moment because she is actually more with it than she has been for years. Her husband is actually happy (for a change) because she has done some housework without him having to moan at her to do it. So, maybe the Aricept is working faster for your mom. Enjoy each day and take it as it comes, thats all any of us can do. xxxx

7. Nannybus

Nannybus Registered User

Dec 21, 2010
    Yes, the Aricept worked as quickly as that for my mother. One day she was having halucinations, not eating, getting lost etc., then after just a few days on Aricept she was able to look in the mirror and remark on how much weight she had lost, and actually use reason and logic. I was delighted.

It lasted for a couple of years, before gradually wearing off, although the halucinations never reappeared, thank goodness. The decline has been slow, but they kept her on Aricept right up until she became bedbound, through a series of falls, and it was then withdrawn, as it was felt that it served no useful purpose at that stage. We are ten years down the line now, so the Aricept was a great help.

8. JackMac

JackMac Registered User

Jun 26, 2010
    west midlands
    wow, that is so amazing. It's strange how it works for some and not others. There's clearly so much they don't know about this drug and dementia yet.
    I went to church with my mum today, starts at 1030am and she was ready at 9am dad said! so no improvements with reading time.
    but she does seem more 'with it' if you know what I mean.
    i just hope she keeps improving.

as you have all said, I am just going to enjoy the good days while they last.
    xx