How easy is it to apply for probate yourself

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
My partner died last week.Just getting to grips with all the paperwork.I am joint executor with my son.We owned the house as tenants in common.He has only his 30% of the property to leave to me.No actual money.Will it be easy for me to fill in the forms myself or will I have to employ a solicitor.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I did it all online too and it is as Bunpoots says, straightforward. You can come back here and ask questions if you come up against anything you are not sure of. Dont waste your money on the rip-off costs of solicitors.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
I did it myself for my dad. You just need to follow the forms and notes carefully. Saves a lot of money

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks a lot.As soon as I get the original will I will have a go.As I am over 70 it looks like I'll have plenty of spare time on my hands.I have been caring for my partner for many years & the last 4 months have been hectic with all the hospital visiting.I really don't know what to do with myself now.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I'm sorry to hear about what's going on for you, especially at a time when so many other horrible things are happening. What a contrast to switch from your previous existence to this one. I'd say, if you can, definitely do probate online.

I'm executor for my mum (after being a OPG deputy for five years) and carried out probate online. My mum's estate was very straightforward. There is 'only' money involved - no property and me and my sister in her will. It's a fairly recent thing to be able to do probate online, and I think they're still refining it, but in my experience it was so convenient. The online forms were simple to understand. There's a link to fill in a form for HMRC as you need that dealt with first to show there's no issues with inheritance tax, etc.

If I remember rightly I received a unique probate registry reference number to send with the original will and, because there were no complicated issues with the estate or HMRC, the online process went ahead. I started the process in January and came back from my [locked-down] holiday [Canaries] this week to find the probate grant waiting for me. I had one email query several weeks ago (about holes indicating a removed paperclip, which I'd removed to photocopy the original will before I posted it off - nothing nefarious about it), and that was the only hitch. The ease of the process was such a relief after all the other admin processes, etc, over the last five years of being a 'deputy'.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
My husband investigated getting a solicitor for his dad's estate (in UK) as we're in NZ. However he realised that even to get a quote for them to do it he had to give them almost all the info that goes on the form anyway. He felt that basically he would be paying them to fill out the form with information obtained by him......needless to say hes doing it himself online. Fairly easy to do, still waiting for probate of course, it's a long process but it would be if a solicitor did it too. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum.....give it a go.