How does your conversation go...?

sony

Jan 28, 2006
Armagh, Northern Ireland
The friends of my mother who had a conscience, admitted they were unable to face her decline. Some of them felt they were intruding on her privacy and dignity. I know that might sound awful, AJay, but think of these quite old fashioned people who kept everything very private. To them, it might have been fear for the future for themselves, but it also might have been something too personal for them to handle.

I can identify with this, my grandparents (Granny has Alzheimers, Granda has vascular dementia) went into a nursing home the day after Boxing Day. My Granda was very well known in our town, he was the local cobbler for over 50 years and his son now runs his shop. He also had many 'drinking buddys'! My Mum asked a few of his close friends if they would like to go and visit them, she'd drive, etc. Only one accpeted the offer, most of the others didn't give reasons but one of them (aged 90) said 'sorry, I couldn't face it, I'll be time enough in a nursing home', just the thought of visiting was too hard for him personally. I can understand this, what I can't understand is that my grandparents have 17 grandchildren and 2 greatgrandchildren and only me and my brother visit them...!! My uncle even said to my Mum 'You shouldn't make your kids (we're not kids - we're 23 and 21!) visit them', I think it's ridiculous that his 'kids' don't visit them and never did even when they were at home!! END rant!! Sorry!!

Sony