How does dementia feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Barry,

Your insight is so very helpful. I would like to share your poem ‘Synonyms of Confusion’ with others I work with at a long term care facility to help them better understand and care for those with dementia. How would I go about obtaining your permission to do so?

Thank you,
LinnyLee

I would send Barry a Private Message LinnyLee

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Frightening weekend and days leading up to it
I had to ask someone visiting the house "what this item is called"
she said "a spoon"
I said "what sort of spoon"
She said "a dessert spoon"
Thank you was my reply

I got cross with someone and kept telling them angrily that they could park on the blue lines using my disabled badge

I found it hard to cope with people

I feel easily confused and someone said I was depressed which sent me on a downward spiral

Wonder if stopping my hrt so abruptly is in part responsible? Hope its that and not a downturn

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Talking Point mobile app

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Frightening weekend and days leading up to it
I had to ask someone visiting the house "what this item is called"
she said "a spoon"
I said "what sort of spoon"
She said "a dessert spoon"
Thank you was my reply

I got cross with someone and kept telling them angrily that they could park on the blue lines using my disabled badge

I found it hard to cope with people

I feel easily confused and someone said I was depressed which sent me on a downward spiral

Wonder if stopping my hrt so abruptly is in part responsible? Hope its that and not a downturn

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Talking Point mobile app
Sorry you've had a bad weekend Sarah. Please do go back to your GP and explain, if you can, about stopping HRT being partly responsible, take someone with you if possible that can help you get that across.
Love
Sue

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Sorry you've had a bad weekend Sarah. Please do go back to your GP and explain, if you can, about stopping HRT being partly responsible, take someone with you if possible that can help you get that across.
Love
Sue
thanks Sue I am actually considering changing surgeries as I have heard about a very good doctor recently who I feel would be more like my last brilliant one who left

Today I am mega irritable can't cope with people and we have visitors :eek:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
thanks Sue I am actually considering changing surgeries as I have heard about a very good doctor recently who I feel would be more like my last brilliant one who left

Today I am mega irritable can't cope with people and we have visitors :eek:

Sounds like a good idea Sarah. I have just been very irritable looking for something and guess what questioning everyone whose been here in my mind wondering why they would take it - of course they would not - I found it but it is very unnerving, have just had bad week.

Hope the irritability goes off, it helps me a bit if I take paracetamol when I'm irritable, which are Ok for me.

Hope maybe you can find some quiet space in the garden to have some shut eye;)

LoriAustralia

Jul 31, 2014
Australia
Not so strange

Dear All,

This will sound like a strange question, but I address it to those of you who have dementia and know it, as you are in the best position to answer it.

Mum has Alzheimers. We haven't told her as she really wouldn't want to be a burden to us and it was considered a suicide risk.

As a person who has studied psychology and having a mother with dementia, I would like to know what it feels like mentally/physically to have this condition. Are there symptoms? Tiredness? Depression? Irritability? When you are searching for a word or a concept, what is actually happening inside you?

I would like to be able to put myself better in her shoes.
Hope someone can help and describe their mental processes as they decline.
Wishing you a good day today,
Big Effort

I am pleased that you are open to wanting an understanding from an affected person's point of view. I have read comments and understand it is different for all but with my mum. She is totally aware that she can't remember can't spell and gets words mixed up, can't make fluid thoughts to always make her hands do what she wants. It's terrible that she is aware so a certain point the frustration and just wanting to find the word or not lose track of conversation. What is really interesting to me is that her head sometimes feels strange and heavy and tingling and I truly believe that she can feel physical changes happening in her brain. Strange but true. She has always been very spiritual and very in tune with herself and other people more so than the average person. I know this must be a totally different way of thinking from your profession just thought I would add more information oh her for you

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I am pleased that you are open to wanting an understanding from an affected person's point of view. I have read comments and understand it is different for all but with my mum. She is totally aware that she can't remember can't spell and gets words mixed up, can't make fluid thoughts to always make her hands do what she wants. It's terrible that she is aware so a certain point the frustration and just wanting to find the word or not lose track of conversation. What is really interesting to me is that her head sometimes feels strange and heavy and tingling and I truly believe that she can feel physical changes happening in her brain. Strange but true. She has always been very spiritual and very in tune with herself and other people more so than the average person. I know this must be a totally different way of thinking from your profession just thought I would add more information oh her for you

Hi Lori,

Welcome to TP. This thread is quite old now and sadly Big Effort no longer posts, she is missed:(

I have had symptoms for 5 years and am very similar to how you describe your Mum, I can feel the changes in my brain and body too and am aware of what they stop me doing, it is very frustrating:(

TP is a very supportive forum, good to have you posting.
Best wishes
Sue

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
I remember Big Effort, she used to share so much information about her Mum! I am not able to send her a private message for some reason as I would love to know how she and her Mum are doing, I remember she tried coconut oil etc. She probably would not remember me...Anyone still in contact?

:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi everyone. Since this is a thread that was started over 2 years ago, we're closing it in order to avoid confusion.

To start a new thread, click >>here<< to see a list of our forums. Choose the most appropriate forum for you by clicking on the blue title. You can then click on the grey '+post new thread' button to start a new discussion. You may also find it useful to take a look at our Help Videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream